Like Tree25Likes

Rental reimbursement scheme

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Indeed mine also specifically mentions that.
    And if I’m not mistaken you can’t claim more than 50% of your total income as housing allowance. But not sure if that is a rule set by the IRD or just my company.

Hi all,

I signed up for the rental reimbursement program even though my rent is approximately 7% of my total income. My employer is saying it is too late for me to drop out of the rental reimbursement program. Is this something I can correct with the IRD in order to avoid paying extra tax? Thank you for your help.

Bumping this old thread,

I have observed that in copy of my IR56B, my employer has marked '0' in Rental Reimbursement - which means I am not marked in Rental Reimbursement Scheme. However my Pay Slips have an entry for Rental Reimbursement for a certain amount.

Before I contest this, I would like to know if there is any impact on employer due to Rental Reimbursement Scheme ?

Before I contest this, I would like to know if there is any impact on employer due to Rental Reimbursement Scheme ?
    About 30 mins of work to make sure they have a record of the rent that they have reimbursed you for - you need to provide them with a copy of your lease and record of rental payments, if you're paying and they're reimbursing you.
    vyral_143 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    About 30 mins of work to make sure they have a record of the rent that they have reimbursed you for - you need to provide them with a copy of your lease and record of rental payments, if you're paying and they're reimbursing you.
    So no impact on them financially apart from efforts on revising IR56B from their end, correct ?

Quote Originally Posted by vyral_143:
    So no impact on them financially apart from efforts on revising IR56B from their end, correct ?
    Yep, unless they have a "computer says no" policy to these things.
    vyral_143 likes this.

My salary break up and situation is similar to example 7 in following link.

https://www.gov.hk/en/residents/taxe.../residence.htm

To best of my understanding, my employer needs to fill up 'Rent paid to Landlord by Employee' in point 12 of IR56 with amount of rent I am actually paying to my landlord, and this is very critical for rental reimbursement calculation to be effective. Please correct if I am wrong.

What are my options, if my employer does not agree on this ? Currently they disagree on this and I have tried to explain them with link/example above; I have been told to get a revert by tomorrow.

What are my options, if my employer does not agree on this ?
    Don't think you have any options.

Hopefully you have kept all your receipts and contract - the employer will need those to verify you've signed a contract and paid the amount.

I had submitted tenancy agreement to them already. Also, I have all bank deposit slips when I deposited rent to my landlord's account.

Just to add here, we follow the rules to the letter as our policy affects a lot of people. They don't accept bank deposit confirmation, only original, signed, monthly rental receipts (and a copy of the stamped tenancy agreement in employee's name).

vyral_143 likes this.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast