Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By HK_Katherine

HK Tax for married couple

Closed Thread

HK Tax for married couple

During the 17-18 tax year, my husband had no income in Hong Kong. Therefore when I completed my 17-18 tax return in May 18, I declared this and got the benefit of his personal allowance. I think my 18-19 provisional tax assumes this status quo.

My husband started a new job in HK in May 2018. This is the first time he has been employed in HK, and so he's now received a notice from the Revenue asking him to complete a provisional tax return for 18-19. Is it going to confuse the Revenue if he completes this now as requested and pays his provisional tax next January, before I complete my 18-19 actual tax return in May 19 which I assume will result in me getting a balancing bill as I'll no longer be able to claim his provisional allowance?

We'll both be earning over the personal allowance threshold so would there be a benefit to filing jointly?

Have you used their online calculator to see the difference in filing jointly?

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:
    During the 17-18 tax year, my husband had no income in Hong Kong. Therefore when I completed my 17-18 tax return in May 18, I declared this and got the benefit of his personal allowance. I think my 18-19 provisional tax assumes this status quo.

My husband started a new job in HK in May 2018. This is the first time he has been employed in HK, and so he's now received a notice from the Revenue asking him to complete a provisional tax return for 18-19. Is it going to confuse the Revenue if he completes this now as requested and pays his provisional tax next January, before I complete my 18-19 actual tax return in May 19 which I assume will result in me getting a balancing bill as I'll no longer be able to claim his provisional allowance?

We'll both be earning over the personal allowance threshold so would there be a benefit to filing jointly?
    'I've been in this exact situation. Just fill in the forms as they are correct when you fill them in, The Gov can figure it out. Life changes!
    shri and Beanieskis like this.

Thanks! So should it rectify itself next May then when we complete 18-19 actual? Do you know if there is a benefit to filing joint returns if you both earn over the personal allowance?

Provisional tax for 18 - 19? Looks like IRD made mistake. It should be completed by May next year. Give them a call or e-mail them.

Regarding to filing, We always do it separately. IRD usually send computation for separate and joint filing and will select the lower tax for payment. In our case, separate filing is more beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:
    Thanks! So should it rectify itself next May then when we complete 18-19 actual? Do you know if there is a benefit to filing joint returns if you both earn over the personal allowance?
    When I looked into it, the only advantages seems o be in relation to property, which I don't have, so for us there was none.