Tax query: rent reimbursement info

Closed Thread

Tax query: rent reimbursement info

Hi,

I have paid my final tax for year 2016/17 and partial tax for 2017/18; recently I got tax demand notice for 2017/18. After closely checking current one I found that my Employer didn't enter "Particulars of Place of residence provided” in IR56B form and it was also missing from IR56B form for 2016/17.

I want to know whether I can ask my employer to revise IR56B form for both 2016/17 and 2017/18 and in turn request IRD to reassess my Tax ?

Thanks in advance.

Are you provided with a place of residence by the company? Or are you reimbursing the rent from your employer?

I am reimbursing the rent from employer.

You can contact the Inland Revenue Department and ask for advise. I found them very helpful when I had some queries.

When your company reimburses your rent, do they exercise proper control? They include, not limited to: (1) asking for rental receipts (2) amounts smaller than or equal to the rent actually paid (3) requiring rental agreement to be in employee's name, etc

If the company does not have clear guidelines, tax authority may actually consider that the rental reimbursement is an additional income rather than residence provided to make sure of this first.

If in the case that it is considered as employee providing residence, you can (1) let your employer know that their form is incorrect and their department will follow up accordingly and (2) fill your individual form appropriately

https://www.gov.hk/en/residents/taxe.../residence.htm

In most cases I find that it is the company that needs to perform the necessary paperwork with the government, so chase your company to see if they have done so. My company decided that it wasn't worth the administrative work of processing and saving a few thousand per employee.