Like Tree7Likes

US Tax Consultant

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US Tax Consultant

Hi there.. looking for US tax consultant based in HK...I moved to Hk few years back from US and need assistance with my old US tax returns...If there is any professional person on forum (i am sure there are many), please reach out to me.Thanks,Green2020

Please share your experiences if you find a good consultant...

I end up finding US firm to do my US taxes

hmm. will do mine by hand. <sigh>

cool, thanks... may have to consider when I start the process.

I have used this guy since 2010 (both living in HK and living purely in the US) as I have pretty complicated US taxes. He is in Central in a tiny office crammed with paper- he is a little idiosyncratic- like I still file in paper, not sure why...but gets the job done and at a lot less than US tax accountants. Understands all the weird expat stuff. Not dirt cheap, I think I paid somewhere between 20k and 30k as I have tons of extra schedules and had to file in US, VA, and MD due to owning various rental properties. If I could do it myself, I would but the whole investment part of income and profit and loss and capital gains and such...no, I'd rather pay someone else.

Southwest Tax & Financial Planning Ltd

shri likes this.

Why don't you just use the same forms for the following year and change the numbers where appropriate? The forms are available for free. The hard part is knowing which form to use. The math is pretty easy with a calculator. Definitely something you can do in half day and for 20-30k that's good value.

Kowloon Goon likes this.

There is an urban legend that if you use a tax preparer you are less likely to be audited...it's all the investment stuff that is a hassle, usually takes me several hours just to fill out the form from the accountant and gather up all the records he needs. My time is work 20k as is my peace of mind knowing that it's been properly done. I used to even have AMT issues which requires another set of calculations...no thanks. Ever since I got involved with stock options and then the stock purchase, sale, and subsequent investment of the proceeds, I have used an accountant.

Kowloon Goon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Why don't you just use the same forms for the following year and change the numbers where appropriate? The forms are available for free. The hard part is knowing which form to use. The math is pretty easy with a calculator. Definitely something you can do in half day and for 20-30k that's good value.
    This is what I do... My taxes are very complicated as well. No way I'm paying someone 20-30k.
    MandM! likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    There is an urban legend that if you use a tax preparer you are less likely to be audited...it's all the investment stuff that is a hassle, usually takes me several hours just to fill out the form from the accountant and gather up all the records he needs. My time is work 20k as is my peace of mind knowing that it's been properly done. I used to even have AMT issues which requires another set of calculations...no thanks. Ever since I got involved with stock options and then the stock purchase, sale, and subsequent investment of the proceeds, I have used an accountant.
    Understandable.
    MABinPengChau likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast