Like Tree106Likes

2019 Tax Assessment Not Received

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kiz:
    Anyone know why it is so slow this year?

According to a post on a similar thread a few weeks ago. "the explanation was that the Legco was supposed to opine on tax liability legislation but given the disruption, they were unable to provide an opinion."

https://geoexpat.com/forum/26/thread354575-2.html
    Kiz likes this.

The Legislation for the reduction of tax liabilities by 100% up till HK$ 20,000 was just passed and gazetted by the LegCo on 15th November and we all should be getting our Tax Bills very soon now. All tax liabilities till HK$ 20,000 is waived off.

Below is the link to the same.

https://www.ird.gov.hk/eng/tax/budget.htm

Kiz, rathunt, shri and 3 others like this.

<Deleted>

Found answer in another thread

Last edited by ChuckFan; 21-11-2019 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Found answer in another post thread

Thx for the update, was wondering why so late this year...

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Well I'm getting a bit annoyed because my company has decided to pay me from Australia subsidiary from Jan 1st which means I'll be officially departing HK even though still working here 1-2 weeks every month. So now my company is withholding all my salary payments (form IR56G) until IRD issues a release letter. Motherf*cking bastards. Damn I even get double pay in December and now this could be frozen for how long?
    You could always take a loan to tide you over.
    shri, bdw, chuckster007 and 1 others like this.

Damn wasnt the concession 30,000 last year?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:
    Damn wasnt the concession 30,000 last year?
    Got to pay for that expired tear gas.

$20k last year. it was $30k in the 17/18 tax year (but up to 75% of the tax due, not 100% like last year)

as for the 2 weeks per month HK, if you are in HK fo r >60 days each tax year you fall within the scope of HK tax.

If you are in Australia permanently with trips out of Australia, on the assumption that you are or become an Aussie tax resident you would also be required to be subject to PAYG +super on your monthly income. if you end up being double taxed you will need to pay HK tax on your HK workdays and claim a foreign tax credit on the aussie side to relieve double tax.

My 2 cents is that you engage an accountant on this. If you are changing your work location, you should also be getting some sort of Australian employment contract. technically the australia corporate entity would have a requirement to file employer return forms to the HK IRD. In addition by being in HK on a recurring basis for a relatively long time you are exposiing the australian entity to corporate tax risk in HK by way of permanent establishment risk.

So I suppose my point is that your situation is more complicated than your boss approving this arrangement. There are local and cross border corporate and personal taxes at play here.

Final point on compliance is to make sure you have the right to work in both locations (ie work visas etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Shiojiri Hiro:
    $20k last year. it was $30k in the 17/18 tax year (but up to 75% of the tax due, not 100% like last year)

as for the 2 weeks per month HK, if you are in HK fo r >60 days each tax year you fall within the scope of HK tax.

If you are in Australia permanently with trips out of Australia, on the assumption that you are or become an Aussie tax resident you would also be required to be subject to PAYG +super on your monthly income. if you end up being double taxed you will need to pay HK tax on your HK workdays and claim a foreign tax credit on the aussie side to relieve double tax.

My 2 cents is that you engage an accountant on this. If you are changing your work location, you should also be getting some sort of Australian employment contract. technically the australia corporate entity would have a requirement to file employer return forms to the HK IRD. In addition by being in HK on a recurring basis for a relatively long time you are exposiing the australian entity to corporate tax risk in HK by way of permanent establishment risk.

So I suppose my point is that your situation is more complicated than your boss approving this arrangement. There are local and cross border corporate and personal taxes at play here.

Final point on compliance is to make sure you have the right to work in both locations (ie work visas etc).
    Thanks yeah a lot of things at play. Actually I was going to keep getting paid in HKD on HK contract while living in Aus, but thats actually harder with all the double tax issues involved and then having to claim foreign income offset etc in Aus. What I am doing now is cutting ties with HK company, new contract with Aus subsidiary, should in theory make things a lot more straight forward. Just my HK HR being 'by the book' pricks and now withholding my salary until IRD clears it.

I mean...they are required by law to do so.

Assume it's too late now but you can take your employers form to the IRD in Wanchai to clear the tax in person. if you go in the morning they will be able to give you your tax bill and letter of release the same day upon payment of any outstanding taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Thanks yeah a lot of things at play. Actually I was going to keep getting paid in HKD on HK contract while living in Aus, but thats actually harder with all the double tax issues involved and then having to claim foreign income offset etc in Aus. What I am doing now is cutting ties with HK company, new contract with Aus subsidiary, should in theory make things a lot more straight forward. Just my HK HR being 'by the book' pricks and now withholding my salary until IRD clears it.
    CharSiuNow, hongkong7 and bdw like this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast