Like Tree2Likes

UK self assesment help (dom or non dom)

Closed Thread

UK self assesment help (dom or non dom)

Hi all, fairly new to HK and my first time filing a UK self assesment (via my accountant)

British citizen couple
    No UK salary earnings in 2018-19 tax year apart (was travelling)
    Minimal UK savings interest
    Rental from 1 UK property
    Currently working full time in HK and no plans to leave

I know for sure I am a non resident in the UK for tax purporses but my accountant has put our domicile down as UK - a little confused and google/gov.uk doesn't have much clarity. I gather its more to do with IHT and CGT purposes? Could someone kindly help please...many thanks!

On a side note, if anyone has accountant recommendations, that would be great - my current one has little experience with non resident issues.

To add to what DeletedUser linked...

Section 5.6 onwards has the domicile status pretty well documented.

And 5.24 has a lot of flowchats which will probably end up confusing anyone... but worth a shot.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...nce-basis-rdr1

Thank you all. I had seen the above links but they are a bit of a minefield. I will ask my accountant to submit.

re flowcharts above, I walked through about 3 of them and got the "You are probably domiciled in the UK"...probably!

re rental income I was accepted to the NRL scheme but slightly late so my lettings agent has already paid some tax to HMRC. I spoke with HMRC and they said I could claim it back but obviously this will need to be via the 19-20 self assessment...my accountant said he wont have time to do this before todays 18-19 deadline. Any issues with claiming back previous years overpaid tax like this?

Thanks again