Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bdw

Can I pay taxes on the HK Gov website?

Closed Thread

Can I pay taxes on the HK Gov website?

I worked in Hong Kong from February 2018 to June 2019(1.4yr)

A year was based on working holiday visa.
    Then former company provided employment permit when the contract has been expired.
    I worked for 4 months more and returned to my home country.

The tax on my annual income would have been calculated and charged.
    I want to pay it all via website.

Can I pay tax with my credit card?(Visa or Master)
    I can't use Hong Kong Internet banking because I don't have a Hong Kong mobile number right now.

Thank you for reading

You should not have been paid your final months salary in June 2019 without settling your taxes first. Your employer was required by law to hold onto your salary until you get your arse down to the tax office and pay your taxes, get a release letter from the tax office, give it to your employer, and then they are allowed to pay your final months salary.

HK_Katherine likes this.

You can’t pay tax until the IRD issue you a bill and a charge number.

-

Quote Originally Posted by Praetorian:
    I heard IRD was sending it home in a green color envelope, but I didn't get it. In this case, Should I have to go to IRD Office?

Quote Originally Posted by Praetorian:
    Not if you leave Hong Kong. One month before you leave you are suppose to get your arse to tax office and settle your taxes. Your employer should provide you with form IR56B (which is same as IR56G you normally get end of every tax year except this is a special interim one for people leaving Hong Kong). Then pay your taxes, get a release letter, your employer can pay your final salary. If you do on time, you will get your final salary as normal without any delays.

I did in December, paid my tax for 2019/20 already and even claimed the $60k TVC rebate on a blank A4 sheet of paper that no-one else in HK will be able to claim until after March 31st this year (if you havent opened your TVC account do it NOW before March 31st cutoff!!). The tax office recommends paying by cash or bank draft directly to the post office in the same building if you want to do everything in one shot and get the release letter for your employer from them on the same day. Otherwise you will have to wait a few days before they will issue the letter.

Original Post Deleted
    He should have gone in person in May 2019, one month before leaving Hong Kong. But since he didn't, then yes just give them a call now and find out what to do and how to pay. If he doesn't his previous employer could get in trouble and be liable for the unpaid taxes. The employer made a mistake in paying the final salary without receiving a release letter from the employee.

Quote Originally Posted by tomntoms:
    I want to pay it all via website.

Can I pay tax with my credit card?(Visa or Master)
    I can't use Hong Kong Internet banking because I don't have a Hong Kong mobile number right now.
    You can pay with many Hong Kong credit cards but I think you may need to do it through that issuing bank's online banking portal. On many of the online banking portals you just click "Pay Tax" and it walks you through the steps, including adding in the account and bill numbers. You do need to be aware of the transaction amount limits.
    Not sure about overseas credit cards though.
    https://retailbank.hsbc.com.hk/promo...wards/en/home/
    Last edited by Cash Trader; 11-02-2020 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Not if you leave Hong Kong. One month before you leave you are suppose to get your arse to tax office and settle your taxes. Your employer should provide you with form IR56B (which is same as IR56G you normally get end of every tax year except this is a special interim one for people leaving Hong Kong). Then pay your taxes, get a release letter, your employer can pay your final salary. If you do on time, you will get your final salary as normal without any delays.

I did in December, paid my tax for 2019/20 already and even claimed the $60k TVC rebate on a blank A4 sheet of paper that no-one else in HK will be able to claim until after March 31st this year (if you havent opened your TVC account do it NOW before March 31st cutoff!!). The tax office recommends paying by cash or bank draft directly to the post office in the same building if you want to do everything in one shot and get the release letter for your employer from them on the same day. Otherwise you will have to wait a few days before they will issue the letter.
    For departure cases, they still issue you with a final demand and charge number.

And the IR 56B is the annual employers return, the IR 56G is the cessation and departure notification that kicks off the tax finalisation for people about to leave HK. For completeness, the IR 56F is for cessation when people cease employment but the employer is not aware the employee is leaving HK for good.