• 2 Post By london008
  • 1 Post By shri
  • 2 Post By muzzdang
  • 3 Post By london008

Messed up tax return

Closed Thread

Messed up tax return

Hi people,

I messed up my tax return..I put my total income including my rental reimbursement, just found out I was supposed to put this separately.

Anyone know if you can amend your tax return once you've submitted it?

Yep. Write to them. Dont bother with calling as you will go around in circles. Write a carefully crafted letter advising them you made a mistake, telling them exactly what the mistake was and to send you a fresh copy of the last tax return for you to complete again. They will.

shri and traineeinvestor like this.

You'll have to write a letter to the assessor. I don't think there is a form. Alternatively wait for the assessment then dispute it.

Do make sure the company is in agreement with the split and records have been kept (contract / rental receipts).

chuckster007 likes this.

Thanks!

I did an amendment through the IRD eTax website, it works as well.

Morrison and andy2666 like this.

Hey muzzdang, if Ive done my tax return through a paper copy but am now signed up for etax do you know if I can do it online?

Potentially. Log in to your eTax account and see if here has been a return loaded or an assessment issued. Under the "Online Services" Tab and the Individual heading, there should be a "Request to Amend Tax Assessment and/or Provisional Tax". Click on that and see if you can put in the reasons to amend.

If not, you can choose the left hand tool bar under "Contact Us" and click "Continue" and you will arrive in a message box for you to plead and beg for mercy

Having been through a few 'errors' in my time over the last decade I can promise you the best solution is pen to paper, or keyboard to printer, get the envelope and stick the stamp on. I have done the phone calls, I have done the disputes and also the contact us form on etax. Unless its something super simple you will go around and around like a headless chicken. This is HK, home of the fax machine, stamp and long nicely worded letter. They love a good letter the tax people. Just write in.

andy2666, shri and muzzdang like this.