Like Tree7Likes

Looking for US tax CPA in Hong Kong to help me file my US taxes

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for US tax CPA in Hong Kong to help me file my US taxes

Hi everyone,

I need help filing my US Federal (IRS) and State (California) taxes for this coming tax year 2019.

Looking for recommendations for a CPA or company that specializes in helping HK expat file their US taxes.

My tax situation is pretty simple and straight-forward (just a single source of income - salary from a HK employer) without any complicated stuff like no investments or business.

Seeking someone who has reasonable and fair pricing. I think most of the companies cater to high net worth expats who might have their own businesses or complicated stuff like investments, etc. However, in my case it is really quite easy and simple so I am more than willing to pay but just want to be charged a fair and reasonable amount, given my tax situation should be a breeze for them.

Now I know many folks will read this post and might suggest "why don't you just do it yourself if it's that easy" - good point, in fact I might even consider doing my taxes myself.

However, since it is my first year filing US taxes as an international tax-payer, I have several questions to ensure I do not make any mistakes. In a nut-shell what I am looking for is a CPA/tax expert who can sit down and answer my handful of questions over a consultation. Only have about 12-15 questions that I need answered (most of them should be super quick) and can easily get my questions over a 1-hour consultation.

Based on what I have described above, can anyone recommend a person based in Hong Kong who can help me? Thanks in advance and I will greatly appreciate any personal recommendations, especially someone with reasonable/fair pricing (example - someone who is willing to charge according to the complexity - in my case affordable pricing considering my taxes are super simple). I'm not looking to low-ball anyone - I highly value people's knowledge and expertise - so I will gladly pay for their time, just don't want to get ripped off - hope what I am asking is for is a reasonable request ;-)

Hi, so did you end up getting any recommendations? I'm looking for one myself too. Would appreciate any suggestions, thanks a lot!

Try RSM they are pretty good, kinda pricy but I don't want to mess with the IRS when it comes to Taxes

Feivillas likes this.

If it's simple then do it online. Many of them offer tax expert review and file it for you.

I used Taxes for Expats in 2015, and they are okay. I paid 350USD in 2015, and their website still says 350USD (for their Core package) to file your federal return and 150USD for a state return. You check out their website at https://www.taxesforexpats.com/services/our-fees.html

I'd say you do FinCEN Form 114 yourself, but you can also pay someone to look at all your bank account statements and find your account numbers and the highest balances if you want. You'd still need to get/download/print all of your statements though and send/give them to them.

I also looked into using Greenback Expat Tax Services, but they are more expensive than Taxes for Expats.

Good luck figuring out what works for you.

Feivillas likes this.

Yes, I ended up using Apex Tax Hong Kong - https://www.apex-tax.com/

The lady who helped me was very professional and her prices were a bit more reasonable compared to others.

Overall I had a great experience working with her and would highly recommend, but of course my taxes were pretty straight forward and simple.

You may want to reach out to them to see if its a good fit for your specific tax situation/questions, which obviously can vary in complexities from person to person.

But yeah I highly recommend Apex Tax - give them a call (852) 5617 6573 to get a quote and see if they can answer your preliminary questions - good luck.

shri and Feivillas like this.

Mine involves quite a bit of stuff so I think I need some professional help. Thanks anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Grumbler:
    If it's simple then do it online. Many of them offer tax expert review and file it for you.
    Mine involves quite a bit of stuff so I think I need some professional help. Thanks anyway!

Thank you all for your recommendations! I'll call around and see.

I do my own taxes using turbo tax each year. Happy to have a chat if it can help on some common stuff. I am not a licensed CPA, nor do taxes professionally. I will only share what my research has taught me, and what I have done in my personal situation.

LoganH and Feivillas like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast