UK Tax Accountant

Closed Thread

UK Tax Accountant

I transferred from the UK to HK around 6 months ago with a company who were going to provide me a service for my UK tax return this year.

However for various reasons this isn't going to happen anymore, so I'm looking for an accountant/lawyer here to help me sort it out. I've seen a lot of threads for a similar service for US tax, but I was wondering - has anyone from the UK has used a good accountant or firm that could help me sort out my tax return? Cheers

I had one as part of my relocation package (PwC as it happens) but they stuffed it all up so badly the first year that I just did it myself thereafter.

Do you have some unusually complicated situation in the UK? The tax return isn't that hard if all you have is, say, a property there which you are letting out. All the forms and guidance are on the HMRC website.

Yeah - PwC were meant to be who I was going to have. Now that it's not provided the cheapest service they offer privately is a bargainous 3,000GBP, so I thought I'd say no to that.

I haven't got anything complicated at all - just that I worked there for a few months of the tax year before coming out to HK, and have some interest earning accounts there etc. I don't even have a property, but I am really quite lazy so figured if I could find someone to do it for me for a reasonable price I would!

I've registered for my HMRC online credentials though, so I might give it a go when they arrive if you think it really is straightforward - anything to do with tax seems a bit daunting for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mrpies:
    Yeah - PwC were meant to be who I was going to have. Now that it's not provided the cheapest service they offer privately is a bargainous 3,000GBP, so I thought I'd say no to that.

I haven't got anything complicated at all - just that I worked there for a few months of the tax year before coming out to HK, and have some interest earning accounts there etc. I don't even have a property, but I am really quite lazy so figured if I could find someone to do it for me for a reasonable price I would!

I've registered for my HMRC online credentials though, so I might give it a go when they arrive if you think it really is straightforward - anything to do with tax seems a bit daunting for me.
    the Fry Group will get your affairs in order for 500 quid I think. That's what I was quoted 3-4 months back.

Fry Group - Tax and Financial Advisers

Quote Originally Posted by mrpies:

Just fill in the relevant form stating that you are leaving the country (can't remember the name now) and there is also one (may even be the same one) that sorts out your income tax...i.e. what you will get back. Interest is taxed at source so don't really need to worry about that...

Doesn't seem really worth paying an accountant to do it...