Like Tree13Likes

FY 2019-2020 Tax Demand - Anyone not received yet?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I finally got my 19/20 tax assessment and due to some changes to my 17/18 and 18/19 assessments instead the IRD owes me a bit for 19/20. However, I noticed my 19/20 tax assessment doesn't include my 20/21 provisional tax. Did others experience this for their 19/20 tax assessment?

I actually owe a bit more for the 17/18 and 18/19 as I related back a gratuity payment, but I guess the way the IRD wants things done is to separate each tax year versus an overall tax liability thus I owe a little bit more for two previous returns, but they have a bit repayable to me for 19/20. Is that why they'd avoid my 20/21 provisional tax?

This sounds strange, regardless of who owes who, provisional tax is always considered before arriving at final number no matter if last year was +/- on either side.. Seems a specially handled case with last 2-3 years of back-change, as you mentioned, considered as a whole one-off or something like that!! I guess only assessing officer could explain this..

LoganH likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ndt:
    This sounds strange, regardless of who owes who, provisional tax is always considered before arriving at final number no matter if last year was +/- on either side.. Seems a specially handled case with last 2-3 years of back-change, as you mentioned, considered as a whole one-off or something like that!! I guess only assessing officer could explain this..
    Thanks for your assessment and congrats on your first post.
    ndt and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganH:
    I finally got my 19/20 tax assessment and due to some changes to my 17/18 and 18/19 assessments instead the IRD owes me a bit for 19/20. However, I noticed my 19/20 tax assessment doesn't include my 20/21 provisional tax. Did others experience this for their 19/20 tax assessment?

I actually owe a bit more for the 17/18 and 18/19 as I related back a gratuity payment, but I guess the way the IRD wants things done is to separate each tax year versus an overall tax liability thus I owe a little bit more for two previous returns, but they have a bit repayable to me for 19/20. Is that why they'd avoid my 20/21 provisional tax?
    Still no demand for me for 19-20! Already submitted 20-21 electronically.

I had been wondering why I hadn't had a demand, and then realised that IRD actually owes ME money not the other way round... (bonus not as good as previous years!). A bit disappointed they carried it forward rather than refunded me though!

Quote Originally Posted by LoganH:

I received my tax for 19/20 today and my husband last week (separately assessed). Neither of us have been given us a provisional tax for next year but both of us have had a tax reimbursement cheque.

I would rather they did tax provisionally though. Guess we are all going to get stung for the full whack next year as there will be no provisional to offset it.

Quote Originally Posted by moonplanet:
    I received my tax for 19/20 today and my husband last week (separately assessed). Neither of us have been given us a provisional tax for next year but both of us have had a tax reimbursement cheque.
    Well if I'm not the only one it sounds like it was intentional, but I don't actually want to call or message someone at the IRD to double check with the slight chance it wasn't intentional. Maybe since it's so close to actually assessing 20/21 they figured to avoid doing a provisional tax for 20/21 that would need to be corrected within a few months.

I also already filed my 20/21 taxes, so the idea of doing a provisional tax for something they could in theory already assess maybe doesn't make sense. Just guesses, but I'm happy to keep some money until they finally demand it. Good luck guessing when they'll issue 20/21 tax demands.

I also already filed my 20/21 taxes, so the idea of doing a provisional tax for something they could in theory already assess maybe doesn't make sense.
    Good idea to just keep it as it is, never fight with the money voluntarily coming in..

Though my understanding is that purpose of provisional tax is kind of security deposit for the next year tax to be due and in case taxpayer is a runner, by that logic IRD should still charge it no matter assessment is close to next year filing or not!!! A runner could be a runner anytime unless there is some other purpose of Provisional tax..
    LoganH likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flapster:
    Still no demand for me for 19-20! Already submitted 20-21 electronically.
    Anyone apart from me still not received? This is very strange..

I finally received mine last week ! For the 19-20.