Like Tree17Likes

IRD - Sent physical demand note instead of electronic

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

They are very reasonable on the phone but for sure change your address as they are very archaic when it comes to settlement and payments.

I had a small dispute with them and to avoid penalties I had to first pay extra over the tax years 2017-2019. After the dispute was settled they concluded I had to pay a little extra for one tax year but would receive a lot more back for the other two taxyears (more then I had paid extra initially). So I asked them to settle the three taxyears and repay my tax in one go. That was not possible ofcourse. I had to pay extra the one tax year (let’s say 50.000 HKD) and at the same time they refunded the other two tax years (let’s say 100.000 HKD). Stupid but true. So to avoid penalties I paid the 50.000 HKD electronically and then received two checks for 100.000 HKD (what an outdated system) one month later in Europe, only to send them back by returning post to a friend in HK to deposit them in my HSBC account.

Agree with everyone who says phone them, and particularly getting the name of your contact/case officer - Then use it in all subsequent correspondence.

I 've had 3 fee waivers over the years (always for instances that were my fault - late payment.)

You'll be fine.

traineeinvestor likes this.

OK so I emailed IRD 3 days ago, got a reply today, so quite quick:

Dear Sir/Madam,
    I refer to your email dated 17/5/2021.
    Please be informed that eTAX account is an Individual Tax account and jointly-owned property tax notice of assessment is not available in the eTAX account.
    A copy of notice of assessment will be sent to you and if you do not receive it by the end of May 2021, please contact the Department for follow-up action.
    In respect of the waiver of surcharge, the enforcement section will only consider your application after the property tax payable balance (excluding the surcharge) is settled.
    Thank you for your attention.
    So I've just jumped online and paid the tax bill excluding the fine. Then sent them another email requesting can you please waive the fine because I had no idea that the property tax assessment doesnt show online.

It's still weird though, I can submit the tax forms all online very easily, can see my property, just need to input the rent received over last 12 months, piece of cake. Just did for 2020-2021 now. But still they can only send the demand notices in the slow post? Not even a PDF attachment in the website like everything else?

Just another thing to add to my list of things to watch out for every year, like credit card annual fee waivers, etc.
    shri, AsianXpat0 and MABinPengChau like this.

I dont know why, by my address with tax office for property tax purposes is different from normal income tax purposes. Also the address cannot be changed online. But don't worry, they've sent me a form ir1249.pdf that includes a handy template to cutout with fold marks so you can make your own envelope and send back to them

Name:  envelope.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  69.4 KB

Sith and MABinPengChau like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    I dont know why, by my address with tax office for property tax purposes is different from normal income tax purposes. Also the address cannot be changed online. But don't worry, they've sent me a form ir1249.pdf that includes a handy template to cutout with fold marks so you can make your own envelope and send back to them

Name:  envelope.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  69.4 KB
    Welcome to HK oh no wait….
    bdw likes this.

It says you can fax them that IR 1249 form. I know most people hate faxes, fine. Anyway, you can try to use outfax.com for free to fax the IRD back that form instead of posting it.

hike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganH:
    It says you can fax them that IR 1249 form. I know most people hate faxes, fine. Anyway, you can try to use outfax.com for free to fax the IRD back that form instead of posting it.
    Outfax.com looks like a great service. Thanks!

Original Post Deleted
    I said you can use it. I've used it to send my resume and such to numerous schools in the past, and for whenever I needed to fax something within HK. You can also post something if that suits you better. Outfax.com is free, so yes the general rule of when a service is free it means you are the product, but hopefully that's usually just through advertising.