Like Tree10Likes

2020 / 2021 tax demand

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hmm, i still haven't received mine yet

So I got this HSBC deal to get like 500 dollar if I pay with the CC. Unfortunately my tax demand this year is huge (underpaid last year) so it exceeds my CC limit. Can I pay half of the amount with the CC and then pay the rest through regular transfer?

Paxbritannia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RobRoy:
    So I got this HSBC deal to get like 500 dollar if I pay with the CC. Unfortunately my tax demand this year is huge (underpaid last year) so it exceeds my CC limit. Can I pay half of the amount with the CC and then pay the rest through regular transfer?
    sure you can. you can pay via 2 credit cards as well.. or you can also top up your card (putting cash into it) and pay thru the whole bill one shot..

hsbc upper limit is 100k, so if you have more than that then use citi credit card and other means. just split the tax bills into different cards. IRS doesn't care how many times you pay as long as you pay them all before the dead line.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    hsbc upper limit is 100k, so if you have more than that then use citi credit card and other means. just split the tax bills into different cards. IRS doesn't care how many times you pay as long as you pay them all before the dead line.
    Thanks, don't have Citi but I will pay 100k with my HSBC card then.

Usually condition is to settle whole tax bill from same CC. Just split bill into several payments from same CC, and recharge balance after each payment, don't wait for monthly statement. It might take 1-2 days to reflect recharged balance though, so time it thoroughly.

Quote Originally Posted by GotIt:
    Usually condition is to settle whole tax bill from same CC. Just split bill into several payments from same CC, and recharge balance after each payment, don't wait for monthly statement. It might take 1-2 days to reflect recharged balance though, so time it thoroughly.
    not true. credit card company will not know how large is your whole tax bill. they only know they are paying whatever amount you ask them to pay...

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    not true. credit card company will not know how large is your whole tax bill. they only know they are paying whatever amount you ask them to pay...
    Which exactly part of my post is not true? I talked about typical T&C of promotions, not about what credit company knows.

Quote Originally Posted by GotIt:
    Which exactly part of my post is not true? I talked about typical T&C of promotions, not about what credit company knows.
    They usually meant that you should only use 1 credit card to settle all the tax payment to IRD for that bank, and not split it via different means from the same bank. So far i have only seen citibank putting that misleading clause of requiring the 'full payment'. But if you read closer there is this clarification attached to the table.

"* Cardholders must settle full Tax Payment through Citi PayAll in order to enjoy Citi PayAll Offer. For the avoidance of doubt, Cardholders who settle partial Tax Payment through Citibank Online Banking would NOT be able to enjoy Citi PayAll Offer."

The other larger players that offered decent rebates, hsbc/dbs/boc... i have not seen similar clauses.

The reality is, Citibank will not know how much is your full tax bill anyway.. so what is the point of setting such a clause that is not implementable ?

BTW.. some banks, not hsbc/citibank, but a few other banks.. actually imposed a rule that if you pay tax via several payments using the same card, the reward is not based on aggregated tax payment, but just based on the largest amount paid...
    Last edited by freeier; 09-01-2022 at 10:19 PM.
    Paxbritannia likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2