Dual Tax Treaty Tax Relief HK and UK

Closed Thread

Dual Tax Treaty Tax Relief HK and UK

I've left HK for good but still have rental income in HK. I'll be reporting this income to the HMRC next year but they ask for you to contact HKIRD for a tax relief form.

From what I understand from www.gov.uk they want you to get a form from HKIRD, fill it and send to HMRC, get the proof of UK residency and return to HKIRD.

I've contacted HKIRD a few times and had no reply since Aug 22.

Anyone that's done this point me in the right direction?

If you have continuing property income in HK then you have the option of paying flat property tax without deductions in HK and then offsetting payments made against property taxes due in UK which will be higher, but expenses claimed in UK submission.

Yeah it will be a flat 20% probably with the 20% off for renovations too? Won't be able to use personal assessment though.

I just need to know how to get tax relief in UK. They just say contact hkird for a form.

Wondering if there's a need if both countries have DTA.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzaman:
    Yeah it will be a flat 20% probably with the 20% off for renovations too? Won't be able to use personal assessment though.

I just need to know how to get tax relief in UK. They just say contact hkird for a form.

Wondering if there's a need if both countries have DTA.
    Renovations you claim/offset at the UK end. HK end pay tax on the rental, no deductions. Consider using accountant at UK end.