• 2 Post By becomjapanHK
  • 3 Post By aw451
  • 1 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By Mr.Haggis
  • 1 Post By ArrynField

tax for kids

Closed Thread

tax for kids

Bit of a niche question, but haven't been able to find any answers online so...

...Does a child (under 16) need to pay tax in HK on any earnings made? And if so, how?

For instance, a child who has a monetized YouTube account and has started to receive payments.

I would suggest writing to IRD to inquire, as it would be a costly thing to get wrong.

I reckon their opinion will be that if you are old enough to earn (substantial/taxable) money then you are old enough to pay tax.

FrancisX likes this.

Taxable I think....otherwise everyone will put earnings in their kids names!!!

Insomnia and FrancisX like this.

Under 18s are not allowed to operate as a sole proprietor or director of a company. They would have to be an employee of a company managed by an adult and the company would have to pay tax and the employee will pay salaries tax.

shri, FrancisX and muzzdang like this.

Would be very surprised if Google allowed a minors account to be monetised, since they technically cannot sign contracts.

Usually opened under a parent's account and since it's a business would need to be a sole proprietorship under ird regs.

FrancisX likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Would be very surprised if Google allowed a minors account to be monetised, since they technically cannot sign contracts.

Usually opened under a parent's account and since it's a business would need to be a sole proprietorship under ird regs.
    The account is monetised already. It's recent so while the money is there, it's not yet been sent. It's not much right now, but just want to keep everything above board. I would imagine they would need some adult authorisation. TBH, I've not been paying much attention. Kid asked me today about some US tax form and I suddenly got interested.

Will check though.

Check what age they put themselves at when they signed up.

Account holder has to be 18, or Parent/Guardian over 18 can monetize:-

https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/2533300?hl=en

FrancisX likes this.