Like Tree9Likes

Losing access to UK services, UK National insurance class 2 deadline contributions and related topics

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Hong Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by UniqueUserName:
    The threads on this keep getting deleted, but this is an long-term, ongoing topic for Brits in HK.

    Some notes from the threads:
    1) You need to tell your doctor in the UK that you don't qualify for free treatment on the NHS anymore, even if you're paying voluntary NI contributions. I don't know how to get treatment in the UK after this, personally; how to pay each time you need a doctor etc:

    2) The class 2 rate is ~3gbp/week (200/yr), whereas the class3 is ~15/week (800/yr). My letter didn't tell me they'd rejected me for class 2. They just billed me the higher rate. I think I got rejected because I was working at sea and got tax back. But I thought I was paying NI contributions on PAYE...

    3) You lose your UK driving license. If you drive on it as non-resident, you're not breaking the law AFAIK, but the insurance company will invalidate any claims. Instead, you need to use a HK license while driving in the UK.

    4) The deadline to pay is March 2025:

    5) The pension isn't inflation adjusted, but the opinion on the threads are that class 2 is worth it anyway.

    My question that I will call to ask the helpline:

    I qualify for 3 years at class 2 AFAIK, because that's only the 3gbp/week rate. Can I just pay those years? (this post seems to say no, but it's not completely clear:


    Other questions:

    -trying to figure out why NI haven't received payments if I was employed at that time.

    -how to get treatment in the UK after this, personally; how to pay each time you need a doctor etc. If no money, I guess the same thing happens as it does with the homeless where if you're sick you clog up the A&E?
    1. As soon as you re-locate to the UK you become resident and immediately become entitled for NHS care.
    2. Did you provide a detailed CV with form CF83? When I called the NI helpline I was told to include - CV including dates and locations, copies of HK employment visas, copies of employment contracts, P45 from last employment in the UK. It was an inch thick of paperwork. My claim was processed pretty quickly (compared to the usual wait - it was about 4 months, others have been waiting over a year) with no further correspondence with me required. I think I got bumped to the top of the pile as I'd made it easy for them. The offer I received for back payments was broken down in to a mix of class 2 and class 3 payments. Class 2 for my time working in HK, and class 3 for the time I was here job hunting and not working. You can select which years you pay, it's not all or none. I chose to pay the class 2 years but not the class 3. When you make the payments call them up and tell them how to allocate the payments.
    4. The deadline to make back payments in respect of NI years more than 6 years ago is 2025. On an ongoing basis you can make back payments for the previous 6 years.
    5. Between now and your date of retirement the UK pension is inflation adjusted (currently the triple lock rules apply). Depending on where you retire to it may or may not be adjusted annually in line with inflation. I don't plan to retire in HK, most likely will be Europe where it is inflation adjusted. Class 2 is a total no-brainer. Even class 3 is worth it according to most financial experts (google Martin Lewis voluntary NI contributions).

    Yes you can 100% just pay the class 2 years. Just make sure you give them clear instructions on which years to allocate your payments to, and double check they do it correctly (via your HMRC government gateway log in). I have heard stories of them being allocated incorrectly, they can get sorted out but it's added hassle.

    Also adding - it is a common myth that you need 35 years to qualify for the full state pension. This is only the case if you started working after 2016. If you started work before then you'll need anywhere between 29 and 50 years of contributions, depending on if you were ever contracted out of SERPS and for how long. I need 36 years but my husband only needs 30 (he's slightly older than me and was never contracted out). You can find out how many total years you need by looking at your future pension forecast, which is in a different section of your government gateway account than your NI payment record.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Apr 2018

    "1. As soon as you re-locate to the UK you become resident and immediately become entitled for NHS care."

    That is what I have read online; I cannot remember where. As soon as you land and declare you have returned to the UK, you are re-entitled to free NHS services.

    There is nothing to stop you leaving again.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Feb 2023

    Very helpful information, thanks @Beanieskis.

    Beanieskis likes this.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    To get free NHS, you need to prove that you’ve returned to the U.K. to live and meet the ordinary residence test.


    Returning to the U.K.,Scotland

    You probably have your own GP, if nit fill in this form
    Last edited by ArrynField; 31-03-2024 at 01:34 PM.

  5. #15

    Thank you for that PM
    ArrynField :-)

    "The government has published guidance for UK nationals living abroad, including actions you need to take to return to the UK from the country you currently live in. "

    But when you click on , there is no info about "actions you need to take to return to the UK" on that page, so I've left feedback.

    The assumption people might reasonably make is to revise the residency test usually used for tax purposes. However, that's an assumption.

    This page is more helpful:

    Prove you are eligible for free healthcare

    The first time you have treatment anywhere in the NHS you will need to bring proof that you are eligible for free healthcare. You should bring at least two of the following documents:
    Residence in the UK

    • Proof of your purchase of property or a tenancy agreement
    • Recent utility or council tax bill payment
    • UK bank account showing recent UK activity

    Employment status

    • Payslip or letter from employer
    • Bank statement
    • Unique tax reference number
    • Documentation from your local job centre to show that you are receiving job-seekers allowance

    You can also use documents that prove you no longer live abroad. For example, paperwork to show that you have:

    • sold or rented your house in your previous country of residence
    • terminated employment or studies in your previous country of residence
    • shipped goods or transferred assets to the UK
    • ended insurance policies and utility contracts

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2