Like Tree5Likes

HK Tax 2013

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HK Tax 2013

Hi all,

I worked in HK for 5 months in 2013. My salary was around 27k per month. Circumstances prevailed where it was not working and I left HK. I believe there was a 120k tax free limit around that time. Anyone have any advice if I would owe any tax or not?

The easiest way to find out is to try to visit. You'll find out at Immigration!

But I guess the answer is not a lot. Presumably your employer removed some money from your pay cheques and paid them an MPF scheme?

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo82:
    Hi all,

I worked in HK for 5 months in 2013. My salary was around 27k per month. Circumstances prevailed where it was not working and I left HK. I believe there was a 120k tax free limit around that time. Anyone have any advice if I would owe any tax or not?
    Drop IRD a line, assuming you were here legally and working for a legit company.

The company would usually hold back your last paycheck (there are some nuances to this.. but usually) until you get clearance from IRD that you have met your tax obligations.

Or did you just pick up and do a runner and now have an opportunity to work here again?

What exactly months you were working? HK Tax year starts on 1st Aprill. If you crossed april, then definitely you're within tax allowance since split between 2 tax years. There was also 75% discount on tax, up to 10k discounted.
    There's calculator on ird website (I've just typed 2013-2014 in url and it is still there, though there is no link to it).
    It seems tax can be 52 HKD (if MPF 1500 hkd was paid for 3 months. it has to be paid after 60 days of employment).
    Maybe they didn't bother, or it was paid/deducted by your employer.

shri likes this.

My Father was ill and I just left, the employer was being an absolute arsehole so I told them to shove their job and got on a plane back to Europe.

Hey, Was June until October 2013.....I did have a Manulife fund, which I ended up claiming back and got some cash back, but just unsure of the tax bit. Tbh I thought it was taken off salary, but my employer never explained this and they were idiots in the end.

My Father was ill and I just left, the employer was being an absolute arsehole so I told them to shove their job and got on a plane back to Europe.
    As mentioned above.. what were the dates? And why are you worried?

The only way to resolve this would be through IRD assuming your employer filed a return.. language center?

Drop IRD a line and suggest that there might have been some oversight and see what they have to say.

I need to make a trip there for work and wasnt sure what the story was. It was over 10 years ago, and from memory my employer withheld my final salary etc, so I presume they would have been under obligation to pay any possible taxes. As tiny as they probably were!

Thanks - found their email so will drop them an email and find out.

from memory my employer withheld my final salary etc, so I presume they would have been under obligation to pay any possible taxes. As tiny as they probably were!
    Don't worry then.
    Yes you can be sure they've paid your taxes from your salary. It's required as per IR56G form process. They've got no proof that you bothered to settle tax, so had to do themselves. Probably got mad even more at you and might have cut salary further for "administration costs" or whatsoever...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast