Work Permit and Taxes in HK (HELP!!)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Work Permit and Taxes in HK (HELP!!)

Hullo,

I found a job in a German company who has a regional office in HK and they will like to hire me. Half of my time, I will be in Germany and another half will be in HK. We are discussing whether to obtain the work permit in Germany or Hong Kong. I understand that obtaining a work permit in Germany is rather difficult and thought it will be a better option to apply in HK. Also, the tax in Germany is rather high.

I am not very familiar with the work permit application and tax in HK. Could anyone advice me the tax applicable for an work permit holder (provided I can get it) and what is the chances of obtaining the work permit for a Singaporean in a foreign company based in HK (The regional office only set up for 2 years or less)?

Rather confused and frustrated with the work permit and taxes Hope someone could advise me. Thank U in advance.

Cheers!

Work Permit and Taxes in HK

Hello,

I am a Singaporean too and had worked in HK for a German Company too for 7 years. Now I am based in Germany. To answer your question on the issues of Work Permit and Taxes for HK. It is quite easy for one to get a Work Permit in HK. All, it takes for you to prove to the Immigration Dept with your employment contract or employment letter. Usually, they will issue a one-year permit and then renewable for 2 years in each application. Regarding the tax issues, I think it is 16% but you could check the website of tax dept in HK for more information. Taxes in Germany is definately much higher - I think it is about 50-55% on your gross salary. I hope this message give you some basis information. Working in HK is not so difficult as compared to Germany.

Bear in mind that tax is normally based on where you undertake the work that gives rise to the salary. It is more or less independent of where your employment contract is drawn up. I am not familiar with German tax, but I suspect there will be a limit on how many days you can be in the country before you will be liable for tax there. In Hong Kong if you spend a significant part of the year working outside Hong Kong then your tax bill here will be essentially reduced pro rata for the number of days you are outside HK. But on the other hand, even if you have a contract in Germany, if you are employed in Hong Kong (by which I mean you work here for a significant number of days in the year and have a base here) then you will probably be liable to submit a salary tax for HK.

For an equivalent standard of living I would expect a German salary to be a bit higher than a HK one because of the big disparity in tax rates. However, this is offset a bit by the relatively higher cost of rental accommodation in HK, so it will also depend on where (if at all) your employer will provide accommodation for you.

Bear in mid that without an Employment Visa in HK you will be permitted to stay a maximum of 3 months on each visit.

I see no reason in principle why you shouldn't get an Employment Visa in both places if you really are going to be 50% in each.

Thanks for your advice. Now I had a better idea about the taxes. For the application process, the employer will file in with the immigration. Do I need to hand them my passport or other important documents? And is the size of the regional company in HK a factor to the success of the application and how long it normally takes? As I had been waiting for almost 10days for them to check with the HK lawyer if the application is possible.

The wait is really frustrating... anyway thanks alot for your precious advice. By the way, which part of germany are you at? Currently I am in Munich. Probably we could meet up. Tc n look forward to hear from you.

Cheers

Yes, you need to submit your password for an endorsement which indicates you are allowed to work in HK for a certain period of time and with that endorsement, you could apply for a HKID. I had my application first through a lawyer and it takes time (I don't understand why??) then I took the matter up myself and submit my application personally to the HK Immigration Dept and it takes less than a month to have my working permit ready. The size of the company is not important as long as your employer is willing to employ you. Munich is a very nice place and I like it but unfortunately, I am closer to Koeln.

They need to see your passport when you file the application, but then you can take it away again, and if/when it is approved you go in again to get a sticker in your passport. I've never really understood what value lawyers add to this process - it really isn't very hard and all the forms are on the Immigration Department website.

HK work permit for Singaporean

Hi,

I just spoken to the German company, and sadly the HR told me that she had checked with several sources (which includes experienced lawyer) that it is rather hard for a Singaporean to obtain a work permit in HK or Germany. First, in Germany, Singaporean are not prefered compared to Australian or Japanese. Second, in HK, there is alot of other qualified personnel in the textile industry. Therefore I will not get the work permit for either countries. I am really confused and I will hope to take this matter on my own hands. Can anyone advise me how to I obtain a work permit as a Singaporean in Hong Kong, what documents do I need and where should I write to for application since I am in Germany now?

Thank you so much for your help. Really a very difficult task for me

cheers

>> Can anyone advise me how to I obtain a work permit as a Singaporean in Hong Kong, what documents do I need and where should I write to for application since I am in Germany now?

She's being lazy. Ask her to go ahead with the application anyways. Make sure the paper work is tailored for your talents .. i.e. they need to specify that they want someone who say for example speaks Mandarin, German, English and I'm sure that will narrow the pool down considerably. Add to that textile industry experience and thrown in F1 racing driver experience (assuming you can prove that you've won a race or two) and you're set.

Seriously, there are tons of Singaporeans here in Hong Kong AND a ton of germans. Never heard there being a huge problem...

All of this is assuming that you have relevant experience.

The immigration website is on http://www.immd.gov.hk they have a list of places you can submit your application to. If I were you, I'd submit the application in Germany and keep the Hong Kong HR person out of the picture.

Whats the worst case scenario? They'll say no .... but then atleast you've tried.

I don't understand why your application was rejected and probaby was never really submitted to the HK Immigration Department. I think it is best that you take up the matter yourself. It is really very simple and easy for Singaporean to obtain a working permit in Hong Kong.

hi guys!

jus want to say thanks for all the help and advice given to me really appreciate it! this website is really cool and super helpful

I had sent my work visa application by direct post in Germany over to HK today. Hopefully it will be successful . Will keep u guys posted! Thanx

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast