Income Tax on HK Salary Whilst Residing Elsewhere??

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

We're in semantics here, but in my version of English "evasion" is, by definition, illegal. "Avoidance" is legal.

Others seem to agree: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_evasion

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    We're in semantics here, but in my version of English "evasion" is, by definition, illegal. "Avoidance" is legal.

Others seem to agree: Tax avoidance and tax evasion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    You're right PDLM.. it's not evasion if there's nothing to evade.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    actually i dont know the law of the respective countries here in asia and you might be right.

i just wanted to mention though that in some countries tax evasion (as opposed to tax fraud) is not illegal.
    So assuming you don't mean 'evasion' strictly speaking... where is that??

I once paid no taxes for a year when i was doing consultant work (99% on the road) and did not have residency anywhere (i basically sign off from my home country and didn't sign on residency anywhere).
    Well I'm thinking more in terms of a permanent fixture. Don't really want to spend my life hiding!

I also heard that the UK Inland Revenue can decide you earn money.. or owe taxes, and it is your job to prove them wrong! Shocking really, but I know someone indirectly who this happened to, and they had to provide full salary history to prove the Inland Rev wrong.

I;ve no idea what the future holds though, but at the moment I have no intention to return to the UK, so I would have to check laws in the country I might end up (.....if I even get myself in the situation where I could even think about this).

by the way, i believe hk also has the 180 day rule, i.e. below 180 days presence in hk, you only pay pro-rata. maybe something you can explore.
    I got the 60 day figure from InvestHK(not IRD), 180 would be even better though so I hope you're right.

They're not inconsistent. Below 180 days you pro-rata, below 60 days it's zero. (I think, from memory)

Oh yeh.. sorry cookie, I misread what you said.