Tax query please

Closed Thread

Tax query please

My husband and I moved to HK and he started working for his HK employer in August 2008. We're wondering when we'll receive a tax return to be filed for the last year - nothing has arrived from Inland Revenue yet.

I gather you pay for the past year and the forthcoming year in one hit, so I wasn't too concerned that no tax return had arrived, but now I'm wondering if we should contact them?

Many thanks in advance for assistance.

You will get a form asking you to complete and return. The 75 % tax is due in Jan 2010,balance in April 2010. No need to contact them.

True, but it's slightly unusual not to have received the form for 2008-09 yet.

Did your husband receive from his employer a copy of the IR56B tax form that they should have submitted to IRD regarding him in April?

Thanks for your responses, Oldtimer and PDLM. Yes, my husband received a copy of the employer's return.

I've been hunting around on the IRD website and have found this section which says we should write to them if we haven't received a tax return within 4 months of the end of the period for the year of assessment - so write to the IRD we shall.

Thanks for your help.

Before you do so, check that the IR56B has the correct contact address for you on it - that is where IRD will try to send the form; it may have gone to the wrong place (for example to his office and not been passed on).

If you are not working, or haven't worked during the period Aug 2008 -Mar 2009, don't forget to elect joint and personal assessment to lower your tax liability when you complete the form.

I've checked - our address is correct on the IR56 form, so something must have gone amiss. We'll write to them and see.

Again, many thanks for the advice.