Paying taxes with credit card

Closed Thread

Paying taxes with credit card

I'm told that we have to pay quite of money come tax time, and that we should be able to use credit card to pay them to get mileages/points.

I've called my credit card company and was told that I would have to pay 1% fee for this convenience. Are there other credit card programs that does not charge fees? What programs would you recommend to use with obviously the least amount of fee paid (preferrably none) to the most generous rewards? Any comment/help on this would be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

HSBC Credit cards offer 1 AsiaMile per 12HKD on tax payments, with no fee.

I believe that some Citibank cards also offer points for tax payment, but unfortunately this doesn't include the Citi/Cathay cobrand card (or at least it didn't last year - maybe more will do it this year).

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:

I believe that some Citibank cards also offer points for tax payment, but unfortunately this doesn't include the Citi/Cathay cobrand card (or at least it didn't last year - maybe more will do it this year).
    PDLM, thanks for the quick response. . do I need to notify HSBC in advance that I intend to pay my taxes by CC or just do it? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by HKfornow:
    PDLM, thanks for the quick response. . do I need to notify HSBC in advance that I intend to pay my taxes by CC or just do it? Thanks.
    Just do it You can do it through their online service. Just a few clicks away..

Assuming that it is salaries tax then just do it. Paying profits tax as a sole trader or company is, I understand, not possible.

It is possible.

Can tax payment be made w/ any CC?...even amex?

AMEX will probably charge you to do that.
    VISA issued by HSBC (amongst others) will not charge you but you need to do it through HSBC's online banking.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:

I walked into Citibank last week, and the customer service rep told me that NONE of their credit card will allow payment for taxes. . . so guess that leaves Diners Club out as well.