HKG Income Taxes Info Needed

Closed Thread

HKG Income Taxes Info Needed

Hi,

I'm a foreigner working in HKG and recently received HKG IRD letter which the total tax assessment required me to pay almost 2-1/2 month of my salary.
    I find that the amount is too much and have made an appeal to object the assessment giving reasons of parent allowance & housing loan in my own country. However, the tax officer has advised that they cannot accept the above reasons to reduce my taxes.
    Can someone teach me ways to reduces my taxes as I have check thru HKG IRD website but it seems there are no much info. in reducing taxes.
    I also ask whether the taxes can be made by installment, however, there will be another 5% interest charged which I think its not worth at all.
    Please help. Thanks!

is that because they getting u to pay 1st year tax + 2nd year tax in advance ? well, its common problem for everyone. 8-X

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    is that because they getting u to pay 1st year tax + 2nd year tax in advance ? well, its common problem for everyone. 8-X
    This is, in general, a myth. It is very rare to have a situation where you actually have to pay tax in Hong Kong earlier than you would under a Pay As You Earn scheme. What is unfortunate is that so many people seem unable to plan for their taxes. The maximum salaries tax you can pay in Hong Kong is 16.5% which is extremely low by world standards, and the salaries tax calculation is extremely simple, so unfortunately there is very little you can do to reduce the bill as a general employee.