Like Tree25Likes

HELP! FACIAL SCAM.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

And I have some bags of pure iodine salt I've been ordered by the government to sell. Contact me asap as stocks are running low. Don't let your vulnerable family be vapourized by the radioactive tsunami!

Last edited by bookblogger; 17-03-2011 at 01:43 PM.
    john mac likes this.

In all fairness she sounds quite young and inexperienced in the world.

When I was 16 i got caught too by Scientology crowd. New to Sydney streets I was approached about a survey, filled out this huge questionnaire and then they researched it and said I had some issues and they could help (they were right about the issues!!!). They said they could set me up on a $5000 plan or something.

By that time i said I had enough and i would think about it. The only way I could get out of there was to buy a book of around $10 I think. Learnt about the big city that way!!

Give her a break and hope she is alot wiser next time.

InigoMontoya and mixedgirl like this.

Some tips!

Hey some of you are being quite harsh on the poor lady!

Scammers are highly trained at what they do. They also talk so fast and are really persistent so that they don't give you a chance to actually think about what is going on.

I think the best tip is: if you are made to feel pressured into something (ex: this is a one time offer, we only have one left...so give me a deposit now, ...), just walk away, or act dumb and say that you can't decide without your partner.

If they still follow you, just raise your voice; this attracts attention to them, which is exactly what crooks don't want.

I had an aggressive scammer try to talk to me, and as I walked away, grabbed the strap of my handbag to pull me back! I had to physically shove the jerk because he wouldn't let go. He then went for my arm and scratched me as I pulled away.

Anyways...

Another good tip is that strangers will never give you anything for free, not even their time in a fast paced place like HK...Don't be scared to seem rude.

For 500 HKD, this was cheap lesson! Don't be disheartened, generally the locals here are nice and polite.

Just don't be so sweet and helpful next time!

Nathalie

Creative83 likes this.

Indeed. Clearly she was rather foolish but give the kid a break. She was at least smart enough to only get taken for $500, plenty have been taken for much more.

Women who buy $1000 tubs of brand-name moisturiser from Department Stores get taken for more than that every time they purchase as they contain no active ingredients which are any more effective than a $30 tub of aqueous cream, but there you go.

MovingIn07 and PDLM like this.

You live and learn! All part and parcel of living in a big city. You're lucky you got away with a one-time payment of 500 bucks and no physical harm. Unlike a lot of people I know that pay PCCW 250 bucks a month for eternity, ostensibly for an "internet service".

I really don't get all the PCCW bashing... I've had PCCW netvigator for almost 10 years with zero issues..!

Scams - see lucky face, just walk away.
    If it smells like a fish, it's probably a fish

Quote Originally Posted by pinkinhk
    Hey some of you are being quite harsh on the poor lady!

Scammers are highly trained at what they do. They also talk so fast and are really persistent so that they don't give you a chance to actually think about what is going on.

I think the best tip is: if you are made to feel pressured into something (ex: this is a one time offer, we only have one left...so give me a deposit now, ...), just walk away, or act dumb and say that you can't decide without your partner.

If they still follow you, just raise your voice; this attracts attention to them, which is exactly what crooks don't want.

I had an aggressive scammer try to talk to me, and as I walked away, grabbed the strap of my handbag to pull me back! I had to physically shove the jerk because he wouldn't let go. He then went for my arm and scratched me as I pulled away.

Anyways...

Another good tip is that strangers will never give you anything for free, not even their time in a fast paced place like HK...Don't be scared to seem rude.

For 500 HKD, this was cheap lesson! Don't be disheartened, generally the locals here are nice and polite.

Just don't be so sweet and helpful next time!

Nathalie
    I agree with a few things here, it's actually quite interesting you mentioned about free things. At one point in time, I offered free services for the local's sake. And it's been seen to them as though I'm an idiot for doing so. Some who tried to grasp where I come from convince me to not do so. And I'm certain, like you mentioned, there'll be some who are convinced there are no free lunch and that I'm trying to scheme something. Very capitalistic mindset. But I agree with your comment. The chances of actual free service is slim here in HK.
    I realized even the younger generation here don't have this 'community' mindset.

The selling culture here is a big scam. Pretty big statement, but so far, so true. Problem is who we often speak with are salesmen, as we usually don't have the chance to associate with non-service locals. I do believe the rest of the non front-line service locals here are not out there to get your money. But it's unfortunate that due to environmental circumstance, they seemed to be the only people who most of us associate with and thus who represents Hong Kong.

Also agreed with the fast paced talking. Big companies such as Cable TV, PCCW does the same thing. They flood you with insignificant information and add some significant ones into it so that they did their job explaining what the contract is about but the customer couldn't register the important thing that was said although the salesperson - by law - did say what's necessary.

One of the core problem here is that their work is commission based. So the ones with ill ethics would do anything to have you sign the contract to get that bigger paycheck at the end of the month.

The other core problem is the acceptance of this scam culture. Even in forums like Geoexpat. You always hear people give advice to learn you lesson, or even downright called you ignorant for being scammed. In other words, they've accepted this as part of the culture and don't intend to do anything to change any of it. The OP was asking for portals to punish the scammer, but all she got was 'learn you lesson', 'you're stupid for being scammed'. She pretty much got stomped for wanting to file a report. I'd say these people are too old too mentally ill to change the community for the better.

So if you accepted this a part of the culture, then obviously, you're not going to do anything about it. But the OP, not the doubters, is the type of people we need if Hong Kong's industry were to be better off ethically in the next 10-20 years.
    Last edited by Creative83; 25-03-2011 at 06:26 AM.
    MovingIn07 and JustReturned like this.

That's a stupid post. I won't get back the couple of minutes reading and writing this response.

You seem to think that HK is the only place that scamming is happening! It happens because there is a high proportion of tourist and transient people on the streets in certain locations whom are vulnerable due to being unfamiliar with HK.

Quote Originally Posted by virago
    That's a stupid post. I won't get back the couple of minutes reading and writing this response.

You seem to think that HK is the only place that scamming is happening! It happens because there is a high proportion of tourist and transient people on the streets in certain locations whom are vulnerable due to being unfamiliar with HK.
    No, the scamming happens mainly to the locals and not so much to the expats. It's mainly because expats don't associate with locals as much as locals do with locals.

Also, most of the scammers doesn't know how to speak English well enough to construct a convincing scam.
    Last edited by Creative83; 25-03-2011 at 07:07 AM.

I think Creative's point - that just accepting it and blaming the scammed does not help, it very insightful. It's not just up to the police to "find" people like this - we should help them by reporting it too.