Like Tree25Likes

HELP! FACIAL SCAM.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    I think Creative's point - that just accepting it and blaming the scammed does not help, it very insightful. It's not just up to the police to "find" people like this - we should help them by reporting it too.
    But report them to who and for what? I'm no expert on the law, but as far as I can see no crimes were committed. The OP voluntarily went to a couple of locations, (from her post it does not appear that she was physically forced or threatened in any manner). At one location she was convinced to purchase something, she handed over cash and was given a receipt. The police will call it "shopping".

If she didn't want to pay, she shold have said no immediately and walked out. Unless she can prove that she handed over the money only after she was threatened or physically assaulted, no crime was committed. We can't expect the police to enforce common sense...

I have to say, I agree with the last post. I feel for the OP (I've known people who have been duped in similar ways) and I'm glad it was only a small amount of money, but I don't think there'd be much of a case. It's not dissimilar to the idea of predatory lending - the idea of caveat emptor ('buyer beware') appears to have been significantly damaged by the knee-jerk instinct of people to trust, and demand, that any possible issue with a transaction has been regulated out of existence.

However -

Back home all I needed to do was smile and say 'no thanks' to the odd person on the street selling raffle tickets/collecting for charity/handing out flyers, and more often than not they'd say 'no worries' with a smile and we'd go our separate ways. Otherwise they'd turn to the next person, either way it ended there.

In Hong Kong, I have to physically push my way through the rude SOB's who jump in front of me and scream about whatever it is they're selling, and continue to do so after I've registered my distinct disapproval. It is beyond infuriating - I hate the person that I have to become to walk down the street. Whether it's the Save the Children creeps, real estate agents on weekends or prols handing out free newspapers, none of them have any empathy for the people around them.

If somebody tried to scam me the way the OP was, at this point I think I would physically assault them.

Apologies for the rant

The trick is to look like a miserable and slightly 'off' bastard and nobody will approach you in HK. Smile on the inside. If they sneakily penetrate that first barrier and do find the courage to approach you, simply glare at them like a blood thirsty maniac but still don't say a word, and they may even say sorry for disturbing you. It's highly amusing.

What I hate is you could be walking down the road on the phone and they still ask you if you want a copy watch or suit! I feel like telling them to f&$k off, though, I haven't done this. Just ignore them generally or if I am feeling generous a no thanks.

Whatever you do, don't walk down with a suit in hand! That is cause for crash tackling from these guys!

InigoMontoya likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King
    The trick is to look like a miserable and slightly 'off' bastard and nobody will approach you in HK. Smile on the inside. If they sneakily penetrate that first barrier and do find the courage to approach you, simply glare at them like a blood thirsty maniac but still don't say a word, and they may even say sorry for disturbing you. It's highly amusing.
    LMAO

Admittedly I lacked any sympathy for the originator's plight since I too thought it odd and strange the way it went down (as described). Obviously she feels bad already. Nice of her to warn others though.

But 'CREATIVE83', you're a repeat offender. !!!????

you folks better stay away from China. Their 'sales' tactics can sometimes be worse. a blink of the eye can be construed as interest and then they'll harass you to no end and follow you around. It won't no matter how far you walk away becuz they'll just text their buddy in the next building or whatever. You're now the mark and someone will continue on you there, and on and on, until they have sold you something.

Quote Originally Posted by vinyljunky
    But report them to who and for what? I'm no expert on the law, but as far as I can see no crimes were committed. The OP voluntarily went to a couple of locations, (from her post it does not appear that she was physically forced or threatened in any manner). At one location she was convinced to purchase something, she handed over cash and was given a receipt. The police will call it "shopping".

If she didn't want to pay, she shold have said no immediately and walked out. Unless she can prove that she handed over the money only after she was threatened or physically assaulted, no crime was committed. We can't expect the police to enforce common sense...
    Hi VJ,
    I guess if you're trying to say that this is ultra low on the Police's list of priorities and will not get investigated, I definitely agree.

But it is clear that the Lady was continuously misled. She started and ended her day with no actual goods or services traded for her money. I am a woman who loves to shop. So I consider myself an authority on the subject, to declare that this does not qualify as shopping!

Anyways I think that the objective of the thread was to warn people about the scam.
    Somehow this turned into some ethical/ legal debate.

I think it was brave for the her to talk about her experience.
    She decided it was worth the risk of being blamed for being had or being thought of as naive, in order to protect others from her experience.

Nathalie
    elle likes this.

Also, I hang out with a local here and when I first arrived I used to check out what all people were handing out, etc., and whenever I would stop, my friend would always have this exasperated look on her face. After reading this thread I now know why.

It's a good thing I followed her lead and now I just ignore everyone as well.

Ok I just noticed this was posted in 2008, but I am so sorry that you had to go through this. There are many many stingy people out there who only go after your wallet. you really have to protect yourself. If they are legit, they would have a business card, take it, and you can do research from there to determine whether they are legitimate.

Quote Originally Posted by virago
    I feel like telling them to f&$k off, though, I haven't done this. Just ignore them generally or if I am feeling generous a no thanks.
    "f&$k off" is the answer of choice for "copy watch" types. Believe me it works!

"Do I look like I wear a f&$king suit" is reserved for the suit touts in the streets.

"No thanks" for the guys outside the the tailor shops. (They are normally polite)
    Skyhook likes this.