Like Tree25Likes

HELP! FACIAL SCAM.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by Ramdom:
    I mentioned this scam to a local friend and she told me it's been happening for more than a decade. These guys must be making good money off this ploy.

John Doe Jr, why do you assume people who so these things would rather do something else? I always held the notion that those in developed nations who made such career choices whether it be selling their bodies, hustling whatever, or dealing drugs did so for fast money. I think if they had another way for fast money they might choose it. I don't think any of them want to do the low paying and labour intensive jobs (eg. street sweeping, outside gardening). Perhaps in under-developed countries with few options, I agree with your point of view.
    Understood. But for some people life in Hong Kong is not as developed as for others - like you and me.

How much money do you think a tout earns? Or a prostitute in Temple Street? You may have a better idea than me, but I don't think man of them are making your "good money" - unless you are talking an undeveloped-country context.

Then again, I'm sure none of them would want to earn as much as a 25-year-old financial analyst or hedge fund manager. Touting and prostitution are so much more lucrative and lots more fun to boot! Forget about Mid-Levels - they much prefer life in the poorer parts of Hong Kong where poverty and violence go on unseen by most of the rest of us.

Obviously I can't tell you definitively in every instance whether or not these people want to do what they are doing. Perhaps you can ask them if they want to swap with you - and maybe you can think about their likely answer, which should provide an interesting perspective for anyone who is bigoted enough to believe that all these people need is to stop being so greedy, get a real job and start working harder.

Malcolm Gladwell's book Outliers gives a simple explanation for why many people end up where they do - successful and otherwise - invariably because of their external circumstances (ie situations not of their doing) and chiefly because of the connections/luck they have in their lives.

Do you ever think "But for the grace of God (eg who my parents were, what ethnicity I am etc.) I could be in this same situation?" Or maybe you think you achieved everything you have just because you worked at it yourself.

Now back to the original topic: No-one has yet explained what to do when I'm approached by these people as I asked in my earlier comments.

Everyone can be an armchair philosopher and form wonderful theoretical conclusions that are difficult to dispute, but what about some practical advice for those of us with twisted minds.

How do you respond to touts and solicitations from prostitutes? What do you say? Do you yell at them and tell them to get a real job? Do you simply tell them to F*** Off as has been suggested by some? Do you treat them with a degree of respect and understanding and move on? Do you call the police?

Can you please tell me what you do, and why?

I ignore them and attempt to avoid eye contact. This normally results in them leaving me alone. If they persist, I shout (loudly) at them and normally they rush away at this.
    I DO think that people have a choice in this life and they do choose to act illegally. We all chose every time we cross the line (yes, I torrent TV shows but not movies; my rationale for this is that TV shows are "free to air" in the country they air but Movies you have to pay to watch so nobody is getting hurt and no revenues are being lost by my actions). The people who choose to scam know what they are doing. they don't just steal money - they upset people like the OP and they make everyone more distrustful of anyone approaching in the street. This final point is, I think, their biggest crime. When I've needed help in HK I find nobody will even look at me (eye contact) let alone anything more; because they are scared of being scammed I guess. What an awful outcome for all of us. So yes, if I get scammed I typically fill in one of those online police reports (done it a couple of times when scammed by a taxi driver) - it's quick and simple and ensures that at least the crime registers somewhere.

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by John Doe Jr:

How do you respond to touts and solicitations from prostitutes? What do you say? Do you yell at them and tell them to get a real job? Do you simply tell them to F*** Off as has been suggested by some? Do you treat them with a degree of respect and understanding and move on? Do you call the police?

Can you please tell me what you do, and why?
    A polite no thank you, They're human beings trying to make a living in this world just like us. So I treat them like one.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    A polite no thank you, They're human beings trying to make a living in this world just like us. So I treat them like one.
    Another possible response could be: "how much?"

The problem I have with the people running this scam is the deceptive and confinement tactics used to get money from people. No product or service is offered. Under the lure of a fitting model job offer, they coerce payment for a facial.
    It is different from the folks hawking copy rolex watches.

dear giant likes this.

Didn't know we were talking about choosing between being a prostitute or George Soros.
    I am talking about making choices within each their own abilities, qualifications, and opportunities.

and yes, the people running the scam business must be making 'good' money, I'm not saying the runners on the street are making good money, by the fact they have multiple locations (rent isn't cheap here), have been in business for over 10 years, and able to employ x-number of people. I highly doubt they would keep a money-losing business in operation just for the tax breaks.

Last edited by Ramdom; 04-04-2011 at 03:34 PM.

My god, John Doe, you have the longest posts! Maybe you have some good points, but sorry, this is an internet forum, not some essay writing competition. I have the attention span of a sparrow when I flick through these forums.

Creative83 wins your little tussle. Not because their case is stronger, just because I dont have time to read your side of the argument.

MovingIn07 and dipper like this.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5