Like Tree35Likes

Is Central/Sheng Wan all bout GUCCI, MUI MUI, LOUIS VUTTON ????????????????

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Well, it is actually true. This doesn't only apply to office ladies, this applies to students as well. Hong Kong really is all about designer clothing. An expensive, brand-name watch will get noticed. Same for a suit, a dress, etc.

As for what to wear at work - I don't know since I've never worked before (still a student), but if you want to deal with the humidity as well as the ice cold air con in the office, maybe try going for a long-sleeved blouse. Or perhaps just bring a smart-looking jacket - I see a lot of office ladies either wearing some type of blouse or wearing a jacket. It seems to do the trick, and it looks smart and stylish.

Oh, and as an interesting note, the "designer brand" rule applies to students as well - you're generally required to be in style whenever you're outside the house. Lately, I see even little kids with tops above their belly buttons, rofl.

pocketofdreamz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pocketofdreamz:
    haha...Hmm i think if I walked in to the office with half my Cleavage showing and a mini skirt(not that I would do this) my boss will send me back home to get changed as HK ppl tend to dress really CONSERVATIVE, PLUS im sure that the other girls in the office will gossip really badly about what I am wearing. I heard ppl in the office can b very mean !!
    Your boss is probably right but you can have one but not both.

I have been in Central just now and doing a survey of girls. Most have short shorts or mini skirts. There were a few cleavage girls but they were generally maids looking for man.

Seriously the amount of girls I see in the lift where I work with short skirts is alarmingly high here compared to Australia for example.

The trends seems to be the frilly little skirts but it just reminds me of an overgrown ballerina with makeup. Not a pretty site in my mind.
    pocketofdreamz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Riayain:
    Well, it is actually true. This doesn't only apply to office ladies, this applies to students as well. Hong Kong really is all about designer clothing. An expensive, brand-name watch will get noticed. Same for a suit, a dress, etc.

As for what to wear at work - I don't know since I've never worked before (still a student), but if you want to deal with the humidity as well as the ice cold air con in the office, maybe try going for a long-sleeved blouse. Or perhaps just bring a smart-looking jacket - I see a lot of office ladies either wearing some type of blouse or wearing a jacket. It seems to do the trick, and it looks smart and stylish.

Oh, and as an interesting note, the "designer brand" rule applies to students as well - you're generally required to be in style whenever you're outside the house. Lately, I see even little kids with tops above their belly buttons, rofl.
    This is a really good observation. I thank you for it.

No prob. Just stating my opinion.

Generally, I go shopping in H&M or Marks and Spencers, and they have quite a good selection of blouses, jackets, and skirts for the everyday office lady. It might be good giving it a try. Sure, it's less expensive than Louis Vuitton or Gucci, but it's certainly still a brand-name and, if on the right person, anything will get noticed.

In the end, it's most important to be yourself, because you make the clothes, it doesn't make you.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    Now I am confused - you are already here? So what was you original post all about then??
    Why am I now getting the feeling that a certain response was anticipated and because it didn't happen we're trying again?
    No im still in the UK just now, will b in HK in a few months.

Generally, I go shopping in H&M or Marks and Spencers, and they have quite a good selection of blouses, jackets, and skirts for the everyday office lady. It might be good giving it a try. Sure, it's less expensive than Louis Vuitton or Gucci, but it's certainly still a brand-name and, if on the right person, anything will get noticed.

In the end, it's most important to be yourself, because you make the clothes, it doesn't make you.
    ThanQs alot for your help, r the stuff in H&M and M&S in HK much dearer than here in UK BTW?

I suppose the boss will rather want to employ the right person to do the job rather than someone who dresses up in top to toe designer but cnt do the job

Zara is also good. My wife doesn't like it (yes I am a guy) for women's clothes so I haven't really checked it out from that side.

There are a number of other good quality stores without breaking the bank here.

Sheung Wan must have gone upmarket. When I worked there ... it was because we could not afford Central rents. Since when did that place go all trendy?

Quote Originally Posted by pocketofdreamz:
    ThanQs alot for your help, r the stuff in H&M and M&S in HK much dearer than here in UK BTW?

I suppose the boss will rather want to employ the right person to do the job rather than someone who dresses up in top to toe designer but cnt do the job
    If by 'dearer' you mean 'respected', then probably, yes. I'm not sure since I've never been to UK before and I don't have many friends from there. ;( But right now, H&M is hot on the fashion trends in Hong Kong, and M&S is a classic.
    virago likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Sheung Wan must have gone upmarket. When I worked there ... it was because we could not afford Central rents. Since when did that place go all trendy?
    Since you left Shri I have the same effect when I leave places.