Like Tree2Likes

Tailor made dress for girlfriend

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tailor made dress for girlfriend

Hi all!

My girlfriend is coming to HK for christmas and I'm trying to figure out what kind of present should I buy. She likes to wear dresses and I thought that tailor made dress would be nice and unique.

I know that Hong Kong is full of men suit tailors but does anyone know a good place for women? To keep the price at reasonable level I'm looking for more simple nigth/club dresse rather that very complicated evening dress.

Thanks!

I strongly advise you against this idea.

Buying clothes for, let alone having clothes made for, women is a recipe for disaster.

Go and watch women shop for clothes and see if you can in anyway comprehend what goes into their decision making, how quickly their taste changes, how slight detailing can ruin a whole look....

The only way I would consider this is if:

a I was a top designer
    b She chooses what she wants

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    I strongly advise you against this idea.

Buying clothes for, let alone having clothes made for, women is a recipe for disaster.

Go and watch women shop for clothes and see if you can in anyway comprehend what goes into their decision making, how quickly their taste changes, how slight detailing can ruin a whole look....

The only way I would consider this is if:

a I was a top designer
    b She chooses what she wants
    For once I agree with you, how did that happen

I also think this is a really bad idea unless she is there when you order, sorry!

Last edited by Satay Sue; 03-12-2012 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    I also think this is a really bad idea unless she is there when you order, sorry!
    Sorry guys, I wasn't clear enough. So yes the idea is that she would be there also and choose the model, color etc. by herself. The idea came to my mind when she complained that it's hard to find perfectly fitting clothes from stores. What I could do beforehand is to find the tailor, book a time and check the approximate price.
    Last edited by MHJ2501; 03-12-2012 at 03:24 PM.

For most women, the joy is in the shopping not the end product ... you've taken half the fun out of it!

But if you were to make a fun "card" or something with "Will pay for one dress at the tailor of your choice" combined with some information on tailors that might work.

EDIT - in terms of your original question, I prefer Shenzhen. Lots of tailors in Commercial City just across the LuWo border. But that might not be the type of thing you are looking for.

Last edited by MovingIn07; 03-12-2012 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MHJ2501:
    Sorry guys, I wasn't clear enough. So yes the idea is that she would be there also and choose the model, color etc. by herself. The idea came to my mind when she complained that it's hard to find perfectly fitting clothes from stores. What I could do beforehand is to find the tailor, book a time and check the approximate price.
    In that case, I can highly recommend:
    Margaret Court Tailoress
    Address: 8th fl., Block A, Winner Bldg., 27-37 D'Aguilar St., Central, Hong Kong
    Phone: 2525-5596

Do your girlfriend a favour and do not drag her to any men's tailor, most of them know bugger all about workmanship and fitting of women's dresses.
    rani and MovingIn07 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by elle:
    In that case, I can highly recommend:
    Margaret Court Tailoress
    Address: 8th fl., Block A, Winner Bldg., 27-37 D'Aguilar St., Central, Hong Kong
    Phone: 2525-5596

Do your girlfriend a favour and do not drag her to any men's tailor, most of them know bugger all about workmanship and fitting of women's dresses.
    + 1 for the address above. (Ie from the wife, not me)

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    (Ie from the wife, not me)
    I am somewhat relieved to hear that

Suggest Andover Tailor in CKE in Tsim Sha Tsui - their ladies dressmaker is fabulous.
    Suggest she bring a few pictures of what she likes and colors too
    There guys suits are good too if you want something for yourself.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast