How do I get ex-white shirts white?

Closed Thread

How do I get ex-white shirts white?

I noticed that some of my white (with print) cotton t-shirt are now more like ivory.

Is there a trick to get them back to white AND keep the print?

you can get bleach which claims to also protect colours
    with these things I find it's always a bit hit and miss

You can try using Vanish Napisan.

If it was due to hanging clothes outside or in the sun, then not much you can do. If it was due to normal washing then try the bleach route.

Since most ,if not all washing machines in Hong Kong only use cold water, I suggest, if you have a bathtub or large bucket, fill it with extremely hot or boiling water and soak shirts in it along with a medium to large bottle of white vinegar with one packet of bicarbonate overnight. Then wash in warm water - best to dissolve a good cup of Nappisan soaker, NOT bleach as this will turn them yellow - in boiling or extremely hot water, add shirts and wash. If your washing machine is outside, then the water may be warm, but add after drum has filled with extra hot water.

When I lived in the UAE, I could never get cold water. In Hong Kong, I can't get hot water.....

Use a peroxide based laundry detergent such as Vanish.

Sunshine also bleaches naturally.

Not all types of fabrics can fight the corrosiveness of bleach but it certainly bleaches things white really fast and works quite strong.

Separate whites from colors in normal wash cycles.

Lemon juice +and sunshine works but it's used for spot stain removals. If you have lemon to spare, its feasible. Otherwise lemons are expensive at the moment.

Sent from my GT-I9105P using GeoClicks mobile app