Like Tree23Likes

Lack of alternative cultures in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tea addict:
    Thought this was an Asian thing in general.
    OK so I know this is my pet peeve and boring, but Asia is a big place.

Come to my part (and other parts) of Asia and tell the men they are androgynous and you are likely to get a punch in the face. Apart from the ladyboys of course who will give you a kiss.
    Lord Dashwood likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    So, that means most western ( single males ) high income professionals who live in BIG cities of today, ( Gen Y LAWYERS & Bankers he he for example ) would be absolutely text book metrosexuals !. They're the ones who wear expensive watches ( OMG sounds like a few watch loving Geo members ) who spend silly money on brand name clothing, the latest smart phone and tend to all look the ( corporate ) same.. Like they are all moulded from the same machine.

HEAPS of Metrosexuals in Hong Kong, New York, London, Sydney etc etc .... Maybe it's a Biz /Law/ Finance thing
    Partially. But its more than just taste in expensive watches. Its an undue interest in personal grooming that men would not normally show that level of interest in...

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    Yes.
    and you came away from the visit thinking Japan clamps down on individualism?
    Lord Dashwood likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    You've never worked in Japan have you? I have.

Besides, Tokyo ain't Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    You think that the alternative subcultures in Japan are expressions of individualism? People within those subgroups can be as individualistic as they want, so long as they are the same as everybody else in that subculture.
    Cho-man, imparanoic and z754103 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    Partially. But its more than just taste in expensive watches. Its an undue interest in personal grooming that men would not normally show that level of interest in...

Ever watched the TV series Suits ? Harvey Specter is a classic Metrosexual. And sorry to burst your bubble, when you work in high flying ladder climbing jobs, grooming is a BIG part of the (superficial) deal. Exponentially increases in cost, the higher up you get.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 21-11-2015 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Ever watched the TV series Suits ? Harvey Specter is a Metrosexual. And sorry to burst your bubble, when you work in high flying ladder climbing jobs, grooming is part of the (superficial) deal. Exponentially increases in cost, the higher up you get.
    No need to burst my bubble, I don't have one to begin with.

Grooming, yes, but there is a reasonable limit even high corporate flyers. Beyond which questions will be raised.

Original Post Deleted
    That's pretty rich coming from someone who doesn't even know a plane is tested for stalling. And where did I say there was no cosplay in Japan? Lying? You of all people shouldn't be the one accusing others of it. I guess you must be lying when you said flew on a plane.

A leopard can't change his spots. DeletedUser will always be the moron that he is. Remember, a plane isn't tested for stalling? Only a fool like you think so.

Btw, none of this prove strong individualism in Japan.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 21-11-2015 at 12:44 PM.

Boom, there go the goal posts moving again.

bookblogger and TheBrit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Boom, there go the goal posts moving again.
    Boom, looking up for arguments for no reason...again. Please don't get infected with the "TB" syndrome here...looking up pointless arguments.

What goal posts? Where exactly did I say there was no cosplay in Japan? That it didn't happen in Japan? Or that it didn't originate in Japan? Where did I say that? That doesn't show individualism in Japan. Its collectivism in subculture.

TB has never worked in Japan, he doesn't know what the hell he is talking about. The collectivist work culture in Japan, hell, makes HK look like a walk in the park.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 21-11-2015 at 01:07 PM.