Like Tree24Likes

Where to shop mid range fashion in Hong Kong?

Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    14

    I gave up shopping in HK and have turned to Asos.com to buy my clothes. The dresses are very nice, great fit for Western ladies ( shoulders fit in, and waist is not right under boobs). Delivery and return is free! Just drop off your unwanted dresses at 7-11 and they refund you on your credit card. Haven't stepped into a shop since.

    kimwy66, MerMer and Mrs. Jones like this.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Kowloon
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by Willman85
    That's what changing rooms are for. If it doesn't fit then you ask for a larger size (whereas buying things online you can't try anything on). As long as it looks good and feels comfortable, what the hell does it matter what letters and numbers are written in a tab at the back of the neck?
    I buy online from the same brands and am familiar with the cut and sizes. I also have a great tailor who can do minor alterations, which I'm a aware I'll need when I buy.
    You're right - the size number doesn't matter. Sales assistants telling a customer they're fat isn't ok.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    1,989
    Quote Originally Posted by MerMer
    I buy online from the same brands and am familiar with the cut and sizes. I also have a great tailor who can do minor alterations, which I'm a aware I'll need when I buy.
    You're right - the size number doesn't matter. Sales assistants telling a customer they're fat isn't ok.
    exactly. the sizes really depend on your style and your own body anyway.

    There are those who prefer tight fit or slim cut clothes and others who prefer baggier fits.
    East_coast likes this.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    9,491
    Quote Originally Posted by MerMer
    . Sales assistants telling a customer they're fat isn't ok.
    That's just cultural. No taboo on telling someone they are fat here. Just like in a UK shop someone might say how tall you are. Just a fact.
    chingleutsch and Mrs. Jones like this.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Kowloon
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine
    That's just cultural. No taboo on telling someone they are fat here. Just like in a UK shop someone might say how tall you are. Just a fact.
    Well aware of the cultural aspect, but if you want people to spend money, that's not the way to do it.
    A colleague back home went on holiday here and was chased out of a shop she was just browsing in. The sales assistant: "No no no Missy big girl!" And when I told her I was moving to HK, her reply: "You know I'll never come visit you!" For her, HK = "Missy big girl". So much for the "Shopping Paradise" this place sells itself as.

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    9,491
    Quote Originally Posted by MerMer
    Well aware of the cultural aspect, but if you want people to spend money, that's not the way to do it.
    A colleague back home went on holiday here and was chased out of a shop she was just browsing in. The sales assistant: "No no no Missy big girl!" And when I told her I was moving to HK, her reply: "You know I'll never come visit you!" For her, HK = "Missy big girl". So much for the "Shopping Paradise" this place sells itself as.
    Nope you're wrong here. There is no lost sales because the shop assistant knew there was nothing in the shop that would fit. She was saving herself and your friend time by pointing this out. Which is perfectly rational and sensible, just different from the approach you are used to.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    215

    missy big girl


  8. #28

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine
    Nope you're wrong here. There is no lost sales because the shop assistant knew there was nothing in the shop that would fit. She was saving herself and your friend time by pointing this out. Which is perfectly rational and sensible, just different from the approach you are used to.
    The other reason is that the shop assistant didn't want the friend to try on clothes that she might not fit in, cause she is afraid that the friend might break or stretch out those clothes.

  9. #29
    Mat
    Mat is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    14,601

    HK fits more Asian size in general than western size - totally normal, 95% of the customers/potential customers are Asian.

    My wife complain often she cant shop properly in the UK/US as the sizes S (even XS) are too large for her so the issue goes both way.

    so ladies, don't feel offended and just get on with your shopping. I am an S Western but sometimes if I buy in Japan I have to take M - I don't feel offended, I just know the average Japanese is smaller built than the average westerner...there is no issue in this at all.


  10. #30

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    1,989

    I'm fairly tall for a HK guy so when i first came here, i found it more difficult to find clothes and shoes that fit in regular shops.

    However, I discovered that if I buy from the touristy markets like Ladies Market and Temple Street Market, they were more likely to have these sizes. I guess that makes sense since they targets tourists.


Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast