Like Tree40Likes

English speaking budget barbers in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by biffski:
    Some of the comments here are pretty harsh. I also refuse to pay allot for someone to cut my hair in Hong Kong. I am from NYC and worked on Wall street for 20 years, yet refuse to pay exorbitant prices for a haircut.

My best suggestion is some of the excellent Filipino English speaking male and female hair cutters and stylists based on LiYuen Street West in Central. The street is adjacent to QRC and Des Voreux Road near Pottinger Street. One of the shops is Pinoy Barber shop/Beauty Salon, Room 707, Fai Man Building, 9-13 Liyuen Street West. There are a few barbers on that floor. The building is gritty but the hair salon is clean and the employees are friendly. Don't be surprised to see guys in expensive suits and blazers walking out, present company included. The cuts and shampoo for 70HKD are worth 3Xs the price. Enjoy the money you save and invest.
    Would second these barbers. Always used them when I was there. (Given I pay HKD 7 - yes 7 - here in the Philippines).
    biffski likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jdf21st:
    Should add Calina has English papers and mags to read during tonsorial event: SCMP, Penthouse and Playboy!
    The kid hasn't been happy with his QB cuts and says he's ready for a real salon. Was going to tell him to try Calina next time, but do you think she'll put the dirty mags away?
    jdf21st likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    The kid hasn't been happy with his QB cuts and says he's ready for a real salon. Was going to tell him to try Calina next time, but do you think she'll put the dirty mags away?
    It's part of the experience......

A rite of passage of sorts.
    rani, jdf21st and timonoj like this.

They’re in a small pile to one side, hardly offending anyone....

Original Post Deleted
    This old auntie local in Cheung Sha Wan on Cheung Sha Wan road

Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    how do you control them. there are so much of those explicit content in the internet now.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Seriously Learn a bit of Canto and you can get a local aunts or uncle to cut it for $35, When I’m in town I get mine done for that. For $30 she’ll give you a proper cut throat shave too. My days of paying $700 for a mid level stylist in ifc are long gone. I only went to those places as a noob because I didn’t know better.
    Yeah, marriage does that

Quote Originally Posted by dengxi:
    I go to a guy in Sheung Wan, think should be 109 Wing Lok st. upstairs based on a previous geo thread. He charges around 100 and speaks enough English to understand me when I ask him to cut it short...
    Any idea on the name of the shop so I can take a look? That one is close and convenient...
    weihanlow likes this.

Even if you could speak Cantonese, it's highly likely you still won't get the hair cut you want.

Best is to bring a picture. You are gambling anyways.

I have not been impressed with the hair cutting skills in Hong Kong.

biffski and jdf21st like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal:
    Ha!

I too was a fan of QB ( just a fun/funny setup all round) but found a place modelled after them that was even cheaper and the guy does a better job, he speaks enough English but I always just show a photo of myself with the haircut I want, simplifies things a lot. My haircut is really simple though doesn't require much.

Hopefully thus guy doesn't leave for a more pretigious place...

I got a spectacular haircut, complete with eyebrows, beard, and those whispy almost invisible ear things for about 50hkd in Istanbul, beard trimming is one thing I'd pay more for here.
    Place got a name? Would be helpful