Like Tree40Likes

English speaking budget barbers in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Question English speaking budget barbers in Hong Kong

So I'm a guy that's been living in HK for 4 years now and I usually have my haircuts in cheap places such as QB House and whatever dodgy shabby place I can find. However my main problem with them is that I can only speak English and a tad bit of Mandarin so I just can't communicate with them which means that my haircuts can't get any complex than just a "trim". I have plans to get a little more stylish with my hair but I'm scared that the language barrier I have with barbers will lead to a screw-up. I also come from a country where I pay at most 50hkd for haircuts so it hurts paying more than $150 for one...

TL;DR Does anyone know any place in HK that has barbers who can speak English and cost less than $150 for a haircut? Preferably somewhere near CWB or anywhere in HK Island.

Thanks,
    Wei Han

jdf21st likes this.

This question pops up regularly . . .

FFS why is GXP fixated on getting professional haircuts at discounted prices?! We know what rent costs. We know the premium that speaking English/catering to expats brings. Yet we won't pay market prices for a professional to cut our hair and then complain about the shit trims we get at cheaper places.

Are you willing to do your job at less than market prices? No? Then why would you expect anyone else to?!

Go to The Barber Shop in Central and ask for Danny. He's a pro. He takes appointments and respects your time. You'll get a good haircut every time. He costs what he costs but it's worth it. Otherwise, he wouldn't be in business.

Don’t be cheap and or learn some Cantonese.
    You’ve been here 4 years now so you must of had the opportunity.

Alternatively is show them a pic of what you want done.

rs4, huja and spode like this.

Wow man chill I just found this website yesterday cause I wanted to ask this question. I thought that MAYBE there's a place somewhere with English speaking barbers that's all...

anyway thanks for for the reply I'll check out The Barber Shop some day

I've been working with Non-Cantonese speaking Foreigners the whole time so I never felt the need for Cantonese (my bad I guess)...

jdf21st likes this.

I go to a guy in Sheung Wan, think should be 109 Wing Lok st. upstairs based on a previous geo thread. He charges around 100 and speaks enough English to understand me when I ask him to cut it short...

timonoj and weihanlow like this.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    Are you willing to do your job at less than market prices? No? Then why would you expect anyone else to?!
    I agree 100%, dumb or naive I can't decide.
    spode likes this.

The QB in Kennedy Town has a perfect English speaking barber ... older guy. But then all I need to say to him is number 4 and have chatted with him enough times to know that he knows what I want.

If you want anything posher, try the Barber shop as recommended by huja or even the Mandarin Barber shop ($460-500ish I think) for something a bit nicer, but way cheaper than you'd expect from a barber in one of the best hotels in the world.

weihanlow likes this.

+1 for Mandarin Barber Shop - I use them for over 2 years now and no complain at all.450/500 HKD (forgot exact price). OK I am not one of those who go every 2 weeks (more like 6-8 weeks) so find that 400+ is OK for a cut every "2" months.

I remember a very long time ago I went to a hair dressers in the New Territories. They said the had an English speaker. Unfortunately her thick glaswegian brogue was unintelligible by me

jdf21st likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast