Waxing for legs

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Waxing for legs

Hi all,

I am interested to do a lower/full legs waxing and I have been reading on various threads here. I am Asian but have thick coarse black hair ... any recommendations of who / where I can go to?

I have seen quite a number of geoexpat members recommending a few Indian Beauticians .... would they do well with my type of hair?

Thanks so much in advance!

Yes, they will as that is how I started but now years later no more coarse hair. Beware though waxing for the first time may hurt but the second time the hair will come out easier meaning less pain.

To prepare and to minimize some of the pain from the first time I suggest you use VEET at least once or twice (you can get this at Watson's or Mannings). Using VEET will help as it will make the hair root less deep which will make it easier to pull when waxing.

Hi ,

There si a nice indian lasy in wanchai..she is very good in Waxing and does a great job.Also her charges are very reasonable.
    PM me for her number if you are interested.

Sorry I don't know of any salons but I do have a couple of suggestions. I used to use an epilator... it cost around $50 for a good one but it lasts a lifetime so much cheaper than getting waxed. It plucks the hairs out and the hair does get finer after a while and after years, most may not grow back at all.

I'm impatient though so a few months ago I bought an at home laser hair reoval system. Be careful though... there are some that don't work and take ages. The only one that's government approved is the Tria system. It's basically just a small version of what proffesionals use and, having gone to a salon a few years ago for my underarms, I can tell you they work just as well. The only downside is it costs around $1000, although you may find it cheaper in HK. I know that sounds a lot but the hair doesn't grow back so it's actually good value for money if you think of the money you'll spend on waxing for the rest of your life.

Anyway hope this helps and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by vik85:
    I used to use an epilator... . at home laser hair reoval system. Be careful though...
    Beware epliators can be extremely painful when using on coarse hair and even cause bleeding from where the hair was pulled on coarse hair - if you go this route do strongly recommend that you VEET and/or WAX at least 3 to 5 months before relying soling in an epliator.

With coarse hair an at home removal system can take ages or if the hair root is very deep in can be in effective.

Both of vik85 approaches are good ones, once you have VEET/wax for a few times so the hair root is not so deep and pulls with ease. Just once you start be sure to resist the temptation of wanting to shave your legs!!

Yea I heard using an epilator hurts even worse than waxing and as you said, not sure if I should use it on thick coarse hair.

I guess I will stick to waxing at this point, luckily it's the winter time so I can better resist going back to shaving! Although, is it common that waxing for the first time, you don't get all the coarse hair waxed out?

I had my first waxing session and my legs/underarms still have some hair not removed ....

Thanks so much for your help!

Alby, isn't Veet some toxic concoction of hydroxides and other strong alkali that basically dissolve the keratin in the hair? (or something just as delicate as that...). Those hair removal lotions can be pretty rough...

Lasers... on dark skin with dark thick hair, they can cause scarring and burning due to the high temperatures the laser needs to be set at... I'd be a bit hesitant about zapping myself at home, though for fair skin it might be ok...

maybe go and get waxed at one of those beauticians in Chungking Mansions. A lot of my wife's indian friends go to those places, not one in particular from memory... but they all say they're cannot find a waxing place as good as they get in western countries.. ho hum...

as for the pain... it aint that bad... well, you know ... i remember as a silly young lad when i used to cycle a lot, i got persuaded by a mate (well, I thought he was!) to get my legs waxed... i have the thickest hairs on my legs, and lots of them.. anyways.. the girls in the waxing joint were running late, so i had one girl doing each leg... there was no respite... hot wax, rip... pain... cold bare patch... hot wax...

oohh... cold shivers now, maybe it wasn't that bad...??

ok, guys are sooks yes? just find a western bloke with really hairy legs and see how he'd feel if u grabbed a handful and yanked them out... i'd guess theres > 20times the density of hairs on a guys legs, and they're thicker too.. the hairs i mean...

thegoofysmiley - yes common, very common and can be like that for at least the next 2 to 3 times depending on the coarse/thickness of your hair.

dropdedfwed - I have super sensitive skin to the point where soap irritates but my waxer recommended VEET then I checked with my lifelong dermatologist back in the USA before using it - he said it is not great, may irritate my skin a bit but not much worse than the shaving cremes I could be using. I do use sensitive skin VEET from time to time and do not use it regularly big long gaps between uses as - I tend off set it with waxing and at times threading. The sensitive skin VEET ingredients are: Sensitive Skin Formula
    Water (Eau), Potassium Thioglycolate, Urea, Mineral Oil (Huile Minérale), Cetearyl Alcohol, Calcium Hydroxide, Talc, Ceteareth-20, Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Parfum (Fragrance), Magnesium Trisilicate, Titanium Dioxide, Propylene Glycol, Lithium Magnesium Sodium Silicate, Dimethiconol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Sodium Gluconate, Acrylates Copolymer, Tocopheryl Acetate.

I would not recommend Chungking Mansions but there is one in Miradaror Mansions (1st Floor) and another at Golden Crown Mansions, Reeta in Causeway Bay is also great she is SriLankan, there are a few in Jordan but they tend to be Nepalese also good.

I didn't wax in the USA but did start here when I first arrived and have done it a few times while visiting the USA & my experience has been opposite -- here my waxing has been better in terms of skill. Ambiance of the salon is better in the USA but have found that skill needs work.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Alby:
    .... Calcium Hydroxide...

ever heard of saponification? or is it esterification? I can't remember which one it is... one is one way, the other is the other... high school chemistry... i forget it all... I think it's saponification....

(Yet another slant!)

Guys & waxing...

Immediately brings to mind that side-splitting, excruciatingly PAINFUL scene of Steve Carell on the slab "getting IT done" in "The Forty Year Old Virgin" !

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast