Like Tree6Likes

Good hair salon..?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Paul Gerrard in Central is really good for "Western" type hair. Not cheap though. :-(

For blonde color or highlights - Ivy Sung at the Upper Room in Causeway Bay is excellent and priced reasonably compared to "expat" salons like Paul Gerrard (personally can't stand the attitude at that place) and Philip George... There are a number of other posts about Ivy's salon here if you do a search and pretty much all are positive.

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/5...ad33227-7.html

The Upper Room -Hair By Ivy Sung

Has anyone tried the new hair&beauty place called The Strand ?

The wife keeps threatening to try it (it looks gweilo-expensive) everytime we go near it...You can see the distinctive place from the escalator.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs
    Has anyone tried the new hair&beauty place called The Strand ?

The wife keeps threatening to try it (it looks gweilo-expensive) everytime we go near it...You can see the distinctive place from the escalator.
    For hair, can't comment, but as a blonde I stick to the same person as there are so many stylists who can't do blonde right in HK.

Got a gift certificate for the spa from a corporate function. Mandarin/ Four Seasons hotel prices, but not near as luxurious, despite a good effort. Place is nice, but wouldn't go back if I had to pay for it myself as I think it is overpriced for what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju
    Salon Boku in Sheung Wan
    Just to expand (didn't have time originally), Porky who owns this salon used to work at Toni & Guy in London and he was recommended to me by my colourist at Brooks & Brooks in London (London hairdresser of the year multiple times, set up by two former directors at Trevor Sorbie).

Salon Boku have only been open for a year but they seem to be attracting some Western clients by word of mouth. They're more East London edgy cool than Mayfair ladies who lunch (think Shoreditch rather than Sloane St). They're on Bonham Strand and have a Facebook page (which seems to be the easiest way to book with them). I had a cut and colour (cut by Porky, colour by Tim) and was absolutely terrified beforehand (first hair visit in HK) but was very happy with the results and will be going back again very soon. I paid just over $1000 all in so very reasonably priced, especially compared to Paul Gerrard, Toni & Guy etc.

Just to add that I'm blonde! And Porky and Tim are lovely. Brooks & Brooks are trying to lure Porky back to London to work for them so get to Salon Boku while you can ;-)
    Last edited by bibbju; 12-12-2011 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju
    Just to expand (didn't have time originally), Porky who owns this salon used to work at Toni & Guy in London and he was recommended to me by my colourist at Brooks & Brooks in London (London hairdresser of the year multiple times, set up by two former directors at Trevor Sorbie).

Salon Boku have only been open for a year but they seem to be attracting some Western clients by word of mouth. They're more East London edgy cool than Mayfair ladies who lunch (think Shoreditch rather than Sloane St). They're on Bonham Strand and have a Facebook page (which seems to be the easiest way to book with them). I had a cut and colour (cut by Porky, colour by Tim) and was absolutely terrified beforehand (first hair visit in HK) but was very happy with the results and will be going back again very soon. I paid just over $1000 all in so very reasonably priced, especially compared to Paul Gerrard, Toni & Guy etc.

Just to add that I'm blonde!

This sounds like something out of a Bret Easton Ellis novel!
    bibbju and sopranoang like this.

I paid by first visit to Louie at Beyond the Fringe at 11 On Lan St today. Awesome blonde foils, and an excellent cut! I'm thrilled! Better than any of the hairdressers I had in London. He loves doing western hair and I highly recommend him! Reasonable price too I think! They also have a store in Sydney.

Im a red headed male and would like to find a hairdressers who will cut and darken (not change colour) my hair. Bit of a strange request i know but my eyebrows are dark reddish brown already so just trying to match that colour really. I'm 6'2" so stand out enough already in a sea of dark hair so wanted to try something a bit different.

If anyone knows of a salon that would do this please pm me.

Cost isnt an issue.

bubbles_uk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor
    Im a red headed male and would like to find a hairdressers who will cut and darken (not change colour) my hair. Bit of a strange request i know but my eyebrows are dark reddish brown already so just trying to match that colour really. I'm 6'2" so stand out enough already in a sea of dark hair so wanted to try something a bit different.

If anyone knows of a salon that would do this please pm me.

Cost isnt an issue.
    I'm surprised you got a visa

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile
    Nana Pojanakorn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoob
    I'm surprised you got a visa

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile
    Hah, they are even going to give me an ID card Not sure turning up for my photo after a drinking session that finished at 7am was the best idea though.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast