Like Tree5Likes

Vegetarian Restaurant - Yam Fish

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Give it up, bougainville.

Is protein the only 'missing' nutrient from being vegetarian?

I was quite shocked that he was advised to eat meat and very weird experience to see a big grown man nearly vomit at nibbling on a tiny morsel of fish.

I'd like to only eat poultry and sea food as I don't eat much of the other stuff anyway (beef, pork, lamb etc) literally the only thing that stops me from totally cutting it out is Dim Sum and vegetarian dim sum isn't that nice from what I've had.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought:
    I don't get as much protein in my diet as I would if I ate meat, but I am sure that I get enough (I consume eggs, dairy products, soy milk, and eat lots of tofu, and other foods made from soybean and of course lentils almost daily).

I would think that a doctor would probably recommend including poultry and fish in one's diet if a known condition existed that called for eating flesh, but that recommending such a drastic lifestyle change (a lot of vegetarians take their vegetarianism very seriously) is rare and probably as a last resort.

Everyone in my family has eaten meat at some point in life but, in my parents' case, not a morsel for over 40 years and it has never been recommended by any doctor they have seen over the years. I've been good for almost 5 years (it will be 5 years in Feb '11), and my ex-gf, who is a personal trainer, seems to be going strong (and getting stronger) for almost as long. (P.S. - forgot to say that I do not take supplements and that she takes flax oil supplements for omega 3).

Finally, ignore Paul101, he's the resident troll. Also, he has now signed up as Lawrence77.

Supplements needed for vegans are B12 for sure. Protein is overated. A varied diet is needed, if the vegan/vegetarian is only eating the same vegetables/fruit/nuts everyday, then some deficiencies will occur

Quote Originally Posted by London2HK:
    Is protein the only 'missing' nutrient from being vegetarian?
    I'd like to only eat poultry and sea food as I don't eat much of the other stuff anyway (beef, pork, lamb etc) literally the only thing that stops me from totally cutting it out is Dim Sum and vegetarian dim sum isn't that nice from what I've had.
    I am not sure if that is the case, but as bbchris above has just said, B12 is one of them. Omega 3 is another that comes to mind, and may be hard to source if one does not consume eggs (or seafood). But as my ex-gf does, taking flax oil supplement would take care of that.