Like Tree2Likes

Good coffee. Any ideas?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew W Scott:
    Hi Aussiegal

I had the exact same problem when I first moved to HK. But fear not, there is very good Aussie style (which is really Euro style) coffee to be found. Try these for starters:

• Eat Right (LHS going up the mid levels escalator just before you hit Staunton St, directly opposite Pure Fitness Kinwick)
    • Kafa Cafe, especially the one in the lobby of 8 Wyndham Street Central, get Pinky to make it for you (she's only on until lunchtime)
    • First Cup Coffee, 8 Prat Avenue TST
    • Quando Cafe (very hard to find but worth the effort, Flat B, 4/F, Granville House, 41 C/D Granville Road, TST)

Good luck
    I haven't tried the famous First Cup yet but I like to add Crema Coffee, further from First Cup, which I consider the best espresso/ristretto I ever had in Hong Kong. Here's the address

Crema Coffee
    G36 Peninsula Center
    67 Mody Road
    Tsim Sha Tsui East
    (Next to Regal Kowloon Hotel)

Tsim Sha Tsui MTR exit P2
    Tel: 2369-0338

For exact location, try map at www.centamap.com

Please see correction on the MTR exit below

Quote Originally Posted by boblam07:
    I haven't tried the famous First Cup yet but I like to add Crema Coffee, further from First Cup, which I consider the best espresso/ristretto I ever had in Hong Kong. Here's the address

Crema Coffee
    G36 Peninsula Center
    67 Mody Road
    Tsim Sha Tsui East
    (Next to Regal Kowloon Hotel)

Tsim Sha Tsui MTR exit G, KCR East Rail (Mody Road) which will lead you into KCR. Then walk toward the end of the long walk way which is KCR Exit P2
    Tel: 2369-0338

For exact location, try map at www.centamap.com

Melbourne coffee

Ohhhh I second you on Eat Right and Kafa, esp Eat Right, I think it's one of the few places that does their lattes properly (well, Aussie style if you like). I really really miss my coffees in Melbourne (and never thought much of it until I left the country and realized what I'm missing out on). Think I'll check out the other two you mentioned below, though it's bit of a hike for me...across the harbour.

Cheers.

Hi Aussiegal

I had the exact same problem when I first moved to HK. But fear not, there is very good Aussie style (which is really Euro style) coffee to be found. Try these for starters:

• Eat Right (LHS going up the mid levels escalator just before you hit Staunton St, directly opposite Pure Fitness Kinwick)
    • Kafa Cafe, especially the one in the lobby of 8 Wyndham Street Central, get Pinky to make it for you (she's only on until lunchtime)
    • Quando Cafe (very hard to find but worth the effort, Flat B, 4/F, Granville House, 41 C/D Granville Road, TST)

Good luck

I was very disappointed at Eat Right last year. My girlfriend and I both thought both the food and coffee were atrocious and vowed never to go back! I had the same experience at Kafa. At both places, the coffee tasted like it had been brewed with beans that had been sitting around for a while. That's two places I'll never go back to for sure.

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 27-02-2008 at 08:39 PM.

Thumbs up good coffee

Segafredo's in Wellington Street serve great coffee

Hi Aussiegal

Good luck

First Cup - Excellent place...they started out like 10 years ago with a tiny 2 seat store (more so a coffee bar at the time) on Lock Road and then progressed and progressed. Decent sized place serving quite a range of coffee for HK's standards. Brazil Santos Lattes there are a godsend.

Quando Cafe - if there was no water, no coffee beans, no milk, no murky substances of gunk, no acid rain left on this planet - I might consider having a drink there! The fact that when it rains you get soaked while sittin at Quando's doesn't add to the ambience.

Eat Right

Try a restaurant in SOHO called eat right. seriously delicious coffee. Tsun Wing Lane is the location

Pumpernickel, others

Pumpernickel (locations in Sheung Wan, CWB, Tin Hau, etc.)

I had a fantastic cup of coffee at the Pumpernickel in Tin Hau the other weekend -- wonderfully nutty, rich, not at all acidic. Just delish!

Some local coffee joints I've been meaning to try (maybe you'll get there before me):

Oscar's Espresso Bar: 85-89 Wellington (nr escalator), Central
    Barista Jam: 126-128 Jervois St, Sheung Wan
    18 Grams: 15 Cannon St, CWB
    Coco Espresso: 197 Queens Rd Central, Sheung Wan

Oscar's

Oscar's is the real deal. Highly recommended. For a start, they use Pura milk, not "milk drink"....

Holly Brown - best coffee I've had in HKG

chloes likes this.