Like Tree2Likes

Cheap eats in HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cheap eats in HK

Hi
    Anyone recommend a good CHEAP restaurant in Central (any type of cuisine) that would be good for cheap eats (and maybe a bit quirky/different). I know there is HEAPS of street food type places (and cafes etc), but somewhere to get a meal (not including alcohol) for under $100 for dinner.....

Cheers

How do you differentiate cafe from restaurant? For example, the Star Bistro (I think it's called) in admiralty is one I go to, it's a small place with tables you sit at and eat and can easily get a sub 100 meal. But is that a "cafe" or a "restaurant"?

If you can accept local Hong Kong food, it can be very cheap. With HK$100 budget, you can get a very good meal in a local restaurant 茶餐廳. I would say HK$50 would be good enough for one person.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    How do you differentiate cafe from restaurant?
    If you are American, a cafe is an informal restaurant. If you are from most other countries, a cafe is an establishment focused on serving coffee. At least, thats what wiki says.
    Café - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    If you are American, a cafe is an informal restaurant. If you are from most other countries, a cafe is an establishment focused on serving coffee. At least, thats what wiki says.
    Café - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Interesting but I guess unhelpful since it's the OP's perceptions of the difference that seem to be important here .... generally I don't differentiate that's all and suspect that many of the suggestions we are going to make as "restaurants" fall into his (personal) definition of "cafes".

McDonalds is the cheapest restaurant in HK. $26 for a value meal is a bargin!

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    LOL - only McDonalds consider their joints to be restaurants though ... which is exactly the definitional problem

EDIT ... I tell a lie... when I was in Russia in the early 90's just after Macca's had opened there, people were visiting it all dressed up to the nines and carrying table cloths, which they put on the table before enjoying their (compared to other local food) fabulous high quality meal. It was an eye-opener. And after a couple of "authentic" restaurant experiences, I saw exactly why they were doing it!
    Last edited by MovingIn07; 07-03-2011 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    LOL - only McDonalds consider their joints to be restaurants though ... which is exactly the definitional problem

EDIT ... I tell a lie... when I was in Russia in the early 90's just after Macca's had opened there, people were visiting it all dressed up to the nines and carrying table cloths, which they put on the table before enjoying their (compared to other local food) fabulous high quality meal. It was an eye-opener. And after a couple of "authentic" restaurant experiences, I saw exactly why they were doing it!
    Believe me I know folks who would not eat in a restaurant in the Uk that did not have tablecloths!

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    It's not though. It's shit.

I eat at a nearby cha chan teng where I get big plates of broccoli with garlic, pepper-salt tofu, etc. It's real food and it's a real bargain.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast