Like Tree26Likes

English scones?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Why would I relate UK biscuits to scones?! How does that make sense?!

I thought you were a yank so I was trying to impress upon you my clever knowledge of American cuisine!

Plus, it is spelled "biscuits", but prounounced biiiiiiizzzzzkkiittzzz in North Carolina. Any Americans wish to corroborate?

Quote Originally Posted by Neco goes Eco:
    Island Shangri-La has great scones!
    I didn't know island shangri-la sells scones . I never saw them. I guess they are usually gone by lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by dahoucia:
    It's easy to find good egg tart in HK, but never easy to find good scones and muffins.
    muffins? Are you referring to English muffins or those American muffins which are like fairy cakes?

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    And I've even got clotted cream to go with....!
    Seldom find proper clotted cream in HK

I was very surprised too! In Wellcome - both in Caine Road and the Wellcome Superstore at Westwood Mall (next to the Belchers). Not cheap of course, but goes well on a good, English scone!

tiggerbear likes this.

Over high tea at the Peninsula a few weeks back there was some disagreement as to whether the cream traditionally goes on first or the jam. I say cream first.
    By the was over-kneading the dough is the main reason why they turn out hard.

Last edited by Loz_2; 06-05-2011 at 06:39 PM.

Yes, definite difference of opinion on which goes on first! Doesn't make much difference really, does it? Still yum!

Aren't English biscuits called "cookies" in America?

I love scones too (more than biscuits, English or American). The best scones I ever had were actually at this little quaint town in Canada - Niagra on the Lakes. It was at a nice tea house/sunroom, part of a local hotel. They offered a menu with more than several pages of tea selection! The tea set was beautiful too. The scones were not large but were soft, buttery and delicious. Had a few afternoon teas in the UK last summer but none of them seemed to match up. Agree Peninsula hotel was disappointing, will give Mandarin a try.

y'all know what biscuits are, right?

Last edited by Ramdom; 06-05-2011 at 06:47 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast