Like Tree1Likes

Looking for like-minded wine fans

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for like-minded wine fans

I used to be a big wine drinker back in the UK but pretty much stopped for the last couple of years. Now I'm getting back into it (quality, not quantity) and am looking for people to swap tips on good buys with. Maybe the odd bottle.

I'm no expert and don't have an unlimited budget. But I'm prepared to pay a few bucks for a good quality bottle every now and then.

Try Watsons branches - they seem to know what they are talking about, and particularly the one in Central, they do have some pretty decent bottles at very good prices. Just steer clear of the French stuff - I use it as cooking wine or in salad dressings. Get my gist

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    Try Watsons branches - they seem to know what they are talking about, and particularly the one in Central, they do have some pretty decent bottles at very good prices. Just steer clear of the French stuff - I use it as cooking wine or in salad dressings. Get my gist
    Yeah, that french muck is just terrible .

I'm looking more for the social aspect thanks - sharing ideas, swapping notes.

Are there any wine clubs in HK where they have educational sessions, in addition to tastings?

I joined one in the US years ago and it was a fun place to meet interesting people.

YouTube - ‪Hail Cork Master!‬‏

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendJay:
    Are there any wine clubs in HK where they have educational sessions, in addition to tastings?

I joined one in the US years ago and it was a fun place to meet interesting people.

YouTube - ‪Hail Cork Master!‬‏
    Berry Bros & Rudd do tasting courses The Fine Wine Centre-Hong Kong- Wine Courses & Qualifications-Berry Bros & Rudd but I reckon they might be a bit stuffy.

Marco at Jebsen wine has introduced me to some fantastic reds, though some were a bit pricey. An absolutely delicious Australian Shiraz, one of the best I have ever had, goes for about $400.

I've also recently discovered California Vineyard wine bar, 77 Wyndham Street, if you like Californian wines.

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendJay:
    Marco at Jebsen wine has introduced me to some fantastic reds, though some were a bit pricey. An absolutely delicious Australian Shiraz, one of the best I have ever had, goes for about $400.

I've also recently discovered California Vineyard wine bar, 77 Wyndham Street, if you like Californian wines.
    Thanks, I've signed up to Jebsen's mailing list. My 'keeper' collection is about 16 bottles at the moment - mostly Australian. My 'drinkers' are all pretty much in the $80-150 range and are Kiwi, Aussie and Chilean. I've not had many Californians at all. I'll give that place a go, I think.

Do you know any good places to buy wine that has been cellared? People selling off parts of their collections for example (but not via auction). I the UK there are trading websites but I've found nothing here.

No sorry, I don't. Don't forget to invite me over next time you open a bottle!

One other thought, the wine selection at Oliver's in Prince's Building is pretty decent, and the former department manager was recommended to me, though she has since moved on. Perhaps the new one is well-informed?

Count me in!

I prefer wines from boutique, or vintners with smaller yields. Plus, my budget is not what the SCMP tends target in their Food and Wine mag.

I also like Voi La on Pottinger St. You can buy some Californian wines worth drinking - although many I've tried seem to resemble ( like the very cheap Aussie labels, no names mentioned) alcoholic soup.

Yesterday, I picked up a decent Shiraz from Watsons on Wyndham St for a not expensive price.

Posto Pubblicco on Elgin also has a great wine list by the glass that is affordable.

Henry's Drive Pillar Box Red from Watsons. 85 bucks (reduced from $100). Good drop and good value

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast