Like Tree1Likes

Are there any food trucks in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Are there any food trucks in Hong Kong?

Been here for a few years and haven't seen any food trucks around (I've seen some ice cream trucks around though). I'm craving for some street food but I can't find any in HK.

Streetfood has all moved indoors due to crackdown by govt for our own good and safety....*sigh*
    ....and even then, the big and famous ones keep getting closed down due to high rents :-(

I frequent this place for my sticks cravings:
    Google Maps

You can find better and larger selection on Kowloon side, in and around MongKok

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    I frequent this place for my sticks cravings:
    Google Maps
    But in the photo it's closed!!

But there are icecream vans around. the ferry terminal in TST for instance.

yeah...MongKok around FaYuen Street has a ton of food similar to food trucks, but instead they are small stalls lining the sidewalks. Some good, some horrendously bad. Also in Jordan/YauMaTei/MongKok there is a bunch of outdoor eateries where they occupy the shops. I think its Temple Street, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    yeah...MongKok around FaYuen Street has a ton of food similar to food trucks, but instead they are small stalls lining the sidewalks. Some good, some horrendously bad. Also in Jordan/YauMaTei/MongKok there is a bunch of outdoor eateries where they occupy the shops. I think its Temple Street, but I could be wrong.
    I live right there and the police have been cracking down on the outside eateries recently. Some of the shop owners don't have licenses for eating outside and i've seen a few of them fined but the main chilli crab places do but they abuse it and line the streets full of tables when they are only allocated by law to have a certain limited space.

It seems pretty strange for the government to crackdown on food trucks, since renting a shop in Hong Kong is so expensive, letting people own burger and taco trucks would make a lot of sense.

It's also weird how ice cream trucks are legal but food trucks are not. Maybe they should make a compromise and do things like they do Chicago, make food trucks legal but have some restrictions in place. Make it so they can't cook in the truck/van, and make them park 200 feet away from restaurants during certain hours.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to rock up to a park to find three or four trucks there serving different types of food, with people standing or sitting around socializing (since public drinking is legal, you can even bring a couple of bottles of beer or wine)? It would be a nice way to meet new people as well.

It needs to happen. Soho and Lan Kwai are getting boring and repetitive.

In Tsing Yi we had food carts and illegals in front of the old Cheung Fat shopping center, a few years ago they gave them concrete food stalls, it's now like an outside food court but without tables, you need to use a near by park bench etc... very local though.

http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ch...Court_2008.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLowrey:
    It seems pretty strange for the government to crackdown on food trucks, since renting a shop in Hong Kong is so expensive, letting people own burger and taco trucks would make a lot of sense.
    HK these days is an oligopoly. The government doesn't want you working for yourself. It wants you to work for one of the chains run by the developers.

sigh...... i miss street meat and french fries from the food trucks back home...

If you want some tasty street food head to shenzhen. Some people are perhaps a bit worried about it being clean but in my view if you can see them cooking it cant be as bad as some of the kitchens in restaurants (even good ones!)

The grilled lamb or beef skewers with cumin are soooo addictive. Much better than the deep fried stuff in HK imo. And the noodles they make on a little gas stove are surprisingly tasty too. I guess it's all the msg!

Last edited by justjoe86; 25-06-2011 at 11:10 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast