Like Tree7Likes

Wet market crabs.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wet market crabs.

I'd like to know about the types of crab available at most wet markets in HK. I've seen the green ones, brown ones and brown ones with little dark marks on them. As far as I know the green ones are mud crabs but I'm not 100% sure on that. Unfortunately none of the shopkeepers are able tell me in english what types of crabs they are either.

I usually buy the green ones, I just steam them and have them with rice or butter and bread buns. I don't buy them that frequently which is why i never thought to ask about them before. I'm just looking to get any info on them from anyone that knows.

As far as pricing does 88 per catty sound about right. Most of the shopkeepers won't let me haggle for price so I'd like to know if I am paying too much at the local wet market. Also, is it normal for them to tie up the crabs with about 4ft of soaking wet straw? I weighed the straw rope from two crabs i bought earlier and they were 22 and 25 grams. That means for every four crabs that's around 80-100grams included int he weight just from the string added to the price.

The dark green ones that you're talking about are typically considered to be "mud crabs". They have the most meat in them, but have the hardest shells.

These are "blue crabs" or "blue flower crabs". Their shells are softer, but they're typically smaller and dont have as much meat. I find it a bit sweeter, though.

these are "crucifix crabs". Typically like the blue crab, but the meat is slightly different flavored. Id suggest trying them as they're all a bit different.

As far as the prices go, they're according to the market that day. Ive seen them go anywhere from 70-160 a catty, for any species, depending on how many were caught that day. The string varies from merchant to merchant, but they're all going to be tied up one way or another. I dunno if you can get around the weight of the string.....

Thanks for confirming, now I can look up more specific cooking instructions on the internet. I didn't know the blue ones were available here but I'll keep a look out for them and try them next time I'm at the market.

I'd really like to see anyone try to get several crabs home from the market without binding them first....!
    (I know what you're saying but how many extra $$s would this wet string mean?)

Maybe they take the weight of the string into account.

No the string is there to add bulk and weight to the merchandise, much like putting your thumb on the scale when you are weighing them. I saw a merchant remove the small nylon cord from the crab and replace it about a bale of string. The string is heavy, it soaks up water and gets heavier.

All part of HK's culture of flucking each other over...

Personally, I prefer Dungeness Crabs over anything else, indigenious to the West Coast, about the size of a dinner plate, the meat is plentiful, sweet, succulent, and the shells are easy to open.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    I'd really like to see anyone try to get several crabs home from the market without binding them first....!
    (I know what you're saying but how many extra $$s would this wet string mean?)
    Last edited by HongKongFoot; 21-07-2011 at 04:16 PM.

They do sell dungeness crabs at city super, but they're a grip.....

Anybody a fan of the famous UnderBridge Spicy crab? Mud crabs fried up with loads of garlic and chili...If you've been around for awhile and havent tried this yet, you're seriously missing out on life.

Last edited by oki_boy; 21-07-2011 at 05:57 PM.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by oki_boy:
    They do sell dungeness crabs at city super, but they're a grip.....
    [/img]
    Two minutes walk round the corner from Citysuper you can buy the same crab from the wet market for roughly $100 cheaper if it's alive, $150 if dead.

I have bought both and they are excelant value.

I love the crucifix crab but I went to the wet market in mong kok a couple of weeks ago and they were all so small. was it just a bad catch day? anyone know a good place to get decent sized ones?

Probably just a bad catch day....try another market. Wan Chai market seems to have the best prices, but CWB has the best selection....prices are close to WC, too.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast