Like Tree6Likes

Gluten Free Yum Cha

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gluten Free Yum Cha

My brother has recently been diagnosed with Coeliacs and he is coming to visit me in HKG. He would love to find out if there is somewhere he can go to eat dim sum/yum cha (one of his favourite things to do before being diagnosed).
    Please can anyone give me some help on where to take him???
    Much appreciated.

Any Chinese restaurant serving dim sum will be fine as long as you avoid the fried and the steamed buns etc.

Jimbo, I've seen enough kitchens in HK to know that they dont pay too much attention to cross contamination here.

If the patient has severe reactions, I would not chance it and keep him away.

Tung Chung mum likes this.

And beware of soy sauce (which is a tough task) - gluten in that as well. :-(

Thanks for your replies.
    I would be worried about cross contamination but I will ask him if he wants to risk it. I am not sure how severely he reacts.

I can think of 2 more possibilities but these ofcourse require a bigger comittment:
    1) Learn to make some of the dishes yourself, at home.
    2) Hire a chef for a couple of hours to do something privately for you. I would think you'd be able to hire one from any of the decent restaurants or hotels.

Not sure dim sum is the first choice of those who like me are gluten intolerant.

I do go to dim sum (only thing I risk and at times it causes me some skin problems consistent with celiac disease).

Beware of rice bread in HK as it made me very ill. Not sure hwy.

HK is not easy for those with celiac disease at all.

Pho is ok. Sushi and rice noodle dishes.

I have lucked out with a To Kwa Wan noodle shop that knows this issue and they start cooking for me according to my local friend when they see me crossing the street. I got in there last Saturday and they were laughing and told my pal that is what happened. Other than this place the chefs here do not now this issue.

Folks here in restaurants have NO knowledge of this. I go to just a few restaurants here.

Go to one of the Chinese Restaurants in the Hotels then

Sing Yin at W Hotel for example. Let them know in
    Advance of your friends dietary requirements and they should sort you out.

Tung Chung mum likes this.

Nice idea HC but I am not sure at this stage about cooking it myself. I do like cooking (no helper) and I give things a go but he comes in about 2 weeks and I have a few things on so dont think I have the time to put in to do the food justice.
    Jimbo, I had thought about one of the hotels. I presume you have eaten at Sing Yin and it is a good standard?? Does it do most of the basic dishes you would find for yum cha? It sounds like it may be a good idea.
    Thanks.

Another question is - my brother wants to see Symphony of the Lights. Can anyone suggest a suitable restaurant for coeliac dinner and to watch the lights. Nothing really flash or expensive just relaxing.
    Thanks.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast