a nice thai restaurant

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I second Chili Club in Wan Chai. I go there for lunch almost every day. I don't think there's any other people in HK that has eaten at Chili Club more than me. Now that's quite a claim.

I like the Thai restaurants at Shek O beach. They can be a little rough and ready (especially when it rains...) but the food can be terrific and inexpensive.

One, I think it is (or used to be called) Happy Garden, was refurbished a few months ago and served the most delicious crab in chilli and coconut sauce.

Definitely worth an outing to Sheko.

All these answers and nobody's suggested Thai Orchids restaurant? I've eaten at a lot of Thai restaurants in Hong Kong and this is by far my favorite. Their restaurants are clean, food is fresh, authentic and the presentation is excellent.

They have three restaurants in Hong Kong, if you are new to the city and have not yet been to Langham Place, i suggest you check out that location.

Here is the website:
    Thai Orchids Cafe & Bar

You can also earn Asiamiles with them, and here are the current addresses with maps:
    Asia Miles - Earn Miles - Dining - Thai Orchids Caf & Bar

I guess you could try the other restaurants suggested above so you will know just how awesome Thai Orchids is when you compare them and don't forget to order the coconut sago pudding at the end of your meal!

Edit:

Check out the press section on the website, there are links to good reviews.

Last edited by pistolero; 03-09-2008 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pistolero
    All these answers and nobody's suggested Thai Orchids restaurant?
    Erm probably because the food there is rubbish? The "Thai" food there was among the worst that I've ever had. But that's just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by shilo507
    I like the Thai restaurants at Shek O beach. They can be a little rough and ready (especially when it rains...) but the food can be terrific and inexpensive.

One, I think it is (or used to be called) Happy Garden, was refurbished a few months ago and served the most delicious crab in chilli and coconut sauce.

Definitely worth an outing to Sheko.
    Yep, have to agree, the open air Thai joint in Shek O is a pretty good feed, and reasonably priced. We've eaten there a few times, and it's always been consistently good.

Sai Kung has a very good Thai restaurant, opposite the HSBC, and the Tai Mei Tuk Thai place in Tai po is very good also, but best for lunch out the back, in the court yard.

I personally think the famous thai (among locals) resturant in tai mei tuk 'Chung Shing' is really over rated and expensive (more expensive than most thai places), considering the location, quality and size of portions, its not even within an air conditioned enviroment.

Even most people opinions states this within the HK most popular food forum site (sadly only in chinese)

?????? - ???? - Hong Kong Restaurants Guide HK Restaurant

Personally, I like simply thai, thai restuarant in apm, and bangkok in CWB

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic
    I personally think the famous thai (among locals) resturant in tai mei tuk 'Chung Shing' is really over rated and expensive (more expensive than most thai places), considering the location, quality and size of portions, its not even within an air conditioned enviroment.

Even most people opinions states this within the HK most popular food forum site (sadly only in chinese)

?????? - ???? - Hong Kong Restaurants Guide HK Restaurant

Personally, I like simply thai, thai restuarant in apm, and bangkok in CWB
    We have eaten at Tai Mei Tuk twice, and during the last time, our bill for 5 people was 800HKD or $160 per head including Singha beers. If that's more expensive than any other Thai place we have eaten at, I didn't notice.

Also, things like eating indoors with arctic chill air conditioning, isn't always a welcome feature.

It's quiet nice eating out in the open air under the shaded brella's they have out the back, and to be honest, the food there was no better or worse than the other restaurants that I mentioned.

Portion size was also no bigger or smaller than what was offered elsewhere.

Contrary to your "local" food review, our experience was quiet a different one.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 03-09-2008 at 04:32 PM.

"We have eaten at Tai Mei Tuk twice, and during the last time, our bill for 5 people was 800HKD or $160 per head including Singha beers. If that's more expensive than any other Thai place we have eaten at, I didn't notice.

Also, things like eating indoors with arctic chill air conditioning, isn't always a welcome feature.

It's quiet nice eating out in the open air under the shaded brella's they have out the back, and to be honest, the food there was no better or worse than the other restaurants that I mentioned.

Portion size was also no bigger or smaller than what was offered elsewhere.

Contrary to your "local" food review, our experience was quiet a different one"

I 've been there 4 times, (i know a lot of friends within NT, KLN and HK who know of this restuarant, hence, its pretty famous) the last time it cost me 455HK$ for 2 people, (no wines or beers), not even any more pricier seafood items like long legged crab, also, the fact that I had to wait 45 mins didn't help the situation.

Its not just my opinion, that this place is over rated as openrice.com gave it a rating out of 41 reviews, 11 was bad, (even one can register and give rating and reviews)
    Not too say its completely crap, just over rated.

I thought Soho Spice was absolutely terrible! Good service, but the food sucked, so I'll never go there again. It's all about the food for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong
    I thought Soho Spice was absolutely terrible! Good service, but the food sucked, so I'll never go there again. It's all about the food for me.
    Jay, again have to agree with you. I'm surprised (and annoyed) whenever I walk past it and see it's still in business...!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast