Like Tree37Likes

Where can I buy good quality meat?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Suggestions - start viewing good quality meat imported from US/AUS as a treat, not as a staple food. Eat more tofu. Eat more fish, however many wet markets sell juvenile fish these days so there you have a potential ethical dilemma relating to overfishing. Use sites lime meatmarket.hk mentioned above (quality is great but you certainly pay for it). Learn to cook like the locals using poor quality Guangzhou pork and chicken but for them it's not about the quality of the ingredient but what you can do with the ingredient. Cooking at home in HK can be a real pain the arse, but you’ll find the solutions that work for you over time. Good luck.

hongkongjohn likes this.

I like protein with all my meals, just like your husband. While I used to buy most of my meat from Citysuper for a few years, I just settle for the locally slaughtered Chinese meat from Taste nowadays.

As a result I am probably full of clenbuterol and other nasty stuff, but I guess (hope) the import regulations for meat form China are not completely useless.

If I could just find a place to buy inexpensive egg whites in a Tetra pack or something like this, I'd be in paradise. I know they have small containers at Citysuper for HK$ 60 or so per pack, but in Europe I am buying a 1L pack from Metro for 2 euro. That's what I am looking for. Do we have a chef around here who knows where to buy restaurant or bakery supplies? Both are in need for egg whites and I don't see them all cracking open hundreds of eggs every day...

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    I've NEVER paid $20AUD for chicken breast fillets... i pay about $20HKD for 2lbs or so...
    May I ask where you are buying your chicken breast fillets, and if that is frozen or fresh?

Thanks!

i buy frozen, usually from the frozen meat places mentioned earlier and occasionally from wellcome/park'n'shop

Thanks for your help. I think we'll ignore the suggestions to eat less meat but tenderloin.com.hk looks to be pretty reasonable and the prices aren't too different from good quality meat in London. $100 for a kilo of grassfed minced beef isn't too excessive.

Kaibo Supermarket has weekly sales on meat, none of which is from China from what I am to understand, mostly Aus, Canada, Argentina, and the States...

Drunken Master likes this.

Getting high quality meat and having it minced defies logic to me. Then again people do buy wagyu steak burgers and filet mignon burgers so nvm, as you were...

Quote Originally Posted by charli:
    Thanks for your help. I think we'll ignore the suggestions to eat less meat but tenderloin.com.hk looks to be pretty reasonable and the prices aren't too different from good quality meat in London. $100 for a kilo of grassfed minced beef isn't too excessive.

Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFoot:
    Getting high quality meat and having it minced defies logic to me. Then again people do buy wagyu steak burgers and filet mignon burgers so nvm, as you were...
    Would you like a Lagavulin and coke with that sir ?

you must be on a huge pay package... i can't imagine paying $100/kg for mince beef!

beef is either from oz or argentina
    pork is either USA or brazil/argentina (i can't remember)

i've never bought any meat from china from them.... i specifically ask. some of the stuff isn't great (the t-bones, i've bought in the past were the toughest i've EVER had, even after overnight marinating in beer/wine)... some of the stuff is fantastic deal.... the baby back ribs have always been excellent, as are the whole gammon hams ($130-160 for about 4 lbs of pure meat), the bacon ($24-26/lb), sole fillets, chicken drummettes, fillets, whole chickens etc.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast