Like Tree26Likes

Cold Water at Hotel Restaurant?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

I just boil the water and drink very weak tea all day long.

But if the tap water isn't safe to drink you have to wonder what they use to wash all the salad ingredients?

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    But if the tap water isn't safe to drink you have to wonder what they use to wash all the salad ingredients?
    Evian of course.

Last edited by Ramdom; 30-08-2011 at 02:56 AM.

Hk'ers seem to have an aversion to tap water and probably just translated into a policy of some kind. It's safe to drink but probably because of old pipes etc can taste a bit more tart (for sake of a better word).

We drink tap water. No problem. In fact many of the hikers on long hikes drink tap water out of the various toilet stops on hikes (which usually have signs saying not drinking water) or indeed some out of streams if they are desperate!

I think the issue is more that some restaurants refuse to offer tap water because they make no money on it. Pathetic really. We too have got ice to go with the (revolting) hot water too!

Last edited by MovingIn07; 30-08-2011 at 07:57 AM.

they don't earn anything on tap water that might be the reason they refuse to serve it

I suspect what is happening here is just an over-rationalization of that old Chinese superstition that cold water is somehow bad for you - hence, if you ask for water in a restaurant in HK, it will usually arrive hot.

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader:
    I suspect what is happening here is just an over-rationalization of that old Chinese superstition that cold water is somehow bad for you - hence, if you ask for water in a restaurant in HK, it will usually arrive hot.
    That is part of it.

But the other part is that pipes in old buildings might make the water not safe if these pipes are not in good condition. HK people have grown up thinking that applies to all buildings. We have water quality award signs in the lobby for our Tung Wah hospital owned building yet the staff so DON'T drink the tap water without boiling.

Yes they would wash vegetables if they wash them in tap water in most places or they have a filter on their sink.

I think the main reason to not serve tap water, is to sell the bottled stuff at HK$55 a bottle instead (+10%).

Langham Place Hotel: The backyard menu (pdf)

If I am paying HK$400 for a bottle of wine, or HK$60 for a glass of beer, or HK$55 for a coke, as well as my food costs, then I think it is not too much to ask for a free jug of tap water. If there is a real risk from unsafe tap water, the restaurant should be closed down.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast