Like Tree26Likes

Cold Water at Hotel Restaurant?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

First of all, there are two different questions here: serving tap water (hot or cold), and serving cold water.

Not serving tap water seems a reasonably clear case of gouging - or to be less judgmental, letting F&B places bulk up their margins on drinks...

Not serving cold water is something different, is definitely cultural, and it may be naive, but I've always assumed that water was served hot as proof that it had been recently boiled and was therefore clean and safe - obviously not such an issue nowadays, but if it's gone from a courtesy to guests to a tradition, that makes sense. Alternatively it could just be one of those strange (to outsiders, blah blah) Chinese food traditions which have very little meaning...

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    Not serving cold water is something different, is definitely cultural, and it may be naive, but I've always assumed that water was served hot as proof that it had been recently boiled and was therefore clean and safe - ...
    That's one reason but they also drink hot water because they believe cold water is not good for the body. There are several reasons why (and I am not claiming they make sense or are correct): if you drink cold water the body needs energy to warm it up while hot water does not drain your energy, hot water aids digestion while cold water solidifies fats in your stomach, mixing cold drinks with hot food is no good etc.

And of course the classic 'my grandma told me so', which requires no further explanation.
    Last edited by Raccon; 31-08-2011 at 01:05 AM.
    Blue88 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramdom:
    You keep letters (not related to the heart) from 2004?
    Sure. I have my emails going back to 1995. It costs nothing to keep them, so why not?

If I dug around on some discs I could probably go back another couple of years at least (if the discs are still OK and my drive still works).
    Last edited by PDLM; 31-08-2011 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Sure. I have my emails going back to 1995. It costs nothing to keep them, so why not?

If I dug around on some discs I could probably go back another couple of years at least (if the discs are still OK and my drive still works).
    I think I can get back to 1993 but not sure I have any programs that will still open the older ones.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using GeoClicks Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:

I'm the complete opposite. My personal emails, mail, etc I purge as quickly as possible if it's not needed. Once any correspondence becomes irrelevant to my everyday life, unless it's business-related which may be your case, I don't see the point to keep it around even if it is free or easy. It's like keeping clothes in the closet which is never worn or ever will be. I have enough baggage not to want to literally lug every word ever exchanged around with me.
    Drunken Master likes this.

If you were in the UK you would delete, wait until you get a Freedom of Information Act request and you have to delete them then (sorry meant go through them all and hand them over).

Tap water

Providing tap water when asked for is a licensing condition: what if you need water for your medication, which should not be swalled with alcohol? Trouble is no one reports them. Hong Kong is so inefficient in enforci9ng the law. Visit Barn II in Causeway Bay on any evening and one would be forgiven to think this is a "must smoke" restaurant. Where are the smoke inspectors, or the ICAC?

What has smoking in restaurants got to do with the ICAC?

Quote Originally Posted by liew:
    Providing tap water when asked for is a licensing condition:
    You've made the assertion before, but I can see no evidence on any government website to support it (and the Consumer Council has confirmed to me that it is not a legal requirement). Please could you provide some evidence to support your assertion?

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:
    That's one reason but they also drink hot water because they believe cold water is not good for the body. There are several reasons why (and I am not claiming they make sense or are correct): if you drink cold water the body needs energy to warm it up while hot water does not drain your energy, hot water aids digestion while cold water solidifies fats in your stomach, mixing cold drinks with hot food is no good etc.

And of course the classic 'my grandma told me so', which requires no further explanation.
    really?! how?