Like Tree35Likes

OpenRice Frites Belgium on Tap

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

OpenRice Frites Belgium on Tap

Today a group of us went to a Belgian restaurant. The person who arranged posted the OpenRice link for reference. Unfortunately the review on there was dreadful and only from 2 weeks ago. I toyed with not going then thought, no, I want to see these people, how bad can it be?
    Belgian Western Restaurant Frites Belgium on Tap's Overview - Hong Kong Restaurants Guide HK Restaurant - OpenRice in English

We had an excellent meal. Most went for the lunch sets, large portions of perfectly cooked food, lamb shanks, steak frites, salmon. I went a la carte and had mussels, again very good. The staff checked that everything was ok. I know people's taste varies but I do wonder. This isn't the first time that a place which has been totally slated has turned out fine.
    I'm going to create an account on OpenRice just to counter this review as I really was thinking of not going! And I felt I should post on here cos I'm cross about it!

dear giant likes this.

you go girl!

Satay Sue likes this.

I just did - it is now "subject to approval"

I read the reviews sometimes but I find the pictures more useful in terms of determining whether 'I' would like the food or not. Having said that though, I really don't like seeing people take pictures of their meals. ha, ha....

drumbrake likes this.

Unfortunately I am gonna sound like a bit of a bigot, but I never trust reviews on open rice by people with poor english, they are nearly always way off the mark. Maybe it is just different tastes of different nationalities but I only ever agree with the ones that are posted by those that seem to be native english speakers. I have never had a good western restaurant recommendation by a local either, maybe just my bad luck.

Frites is great, love the beer, menu too.

dear giant likes this.

Totally agree that you need to take the reviews with a pinch of salt. I remember once reading a girl's review on a risotto from Isola, she complained the rice was undercooked, nothing like Spaghetti House's!

bookblogger and dear giant like this.

Quote Originally Posted by methosb:
    Unfortunately I am gonna sound like a bit of a bigot, but I never trust reviews on open rice by people with poor english, they are nearly always way off the mark. Maybe it is just different tastes of different nationalities but I only ever agree with the ones that are posted by those that seem to be native english speakers. I have never had a good western restaurant recommendation by a local either, maybe just my bad luck.

Frites is great, love the beer, menu too.
    That's it. Never trust a food review by someone who takes close-up pictures of food. Most people here in HK have no clue about 'western' food and only eat it to gain status. They put it on the middle of the table and share it like Chinese food for heaven's sake.
    Last edited by Char Siu King; 04-10-2011 at 08:18 PM.
    dear giant likes this.

What's wrong with sharing food?

Is Frites still scarily expensive, or have they brought the prices down to levels that people other than gambling bankers can afford?

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Is Frites still scarily expensive, or have they brought the prices down to levels that people other than gambling bankers can afford?
    Its never been expensive unless you're on minimum wage

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast