Like Tree55Likes

Good Mexican Restaurant in HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Been to Mr. Taco Truck in Quarry Bay. Not conveniently located unfortunately.

Last edited by MarriedtoLatina; 04-06-2012 at 08:51 AM. Reason: more specific.

Quote Originally Posted by MarriedtoLatina:
    Where can I get menudo in Hong Kong?
    I'm sure HMV still have a few discs

I've not seen the edible version in Hong Kong...
    gataloca and Fiona in HKG like this.

Coming from a Mexican family, I always unfairly compare all Mexican restaurants to home cooking. I've only been here 3 months, but went to Coyote for Cinco De Mayo and was pleasantly suprised. There's also a Mr. Taco Truck on LKF on Wo On Lane. Great chicken and grilled fish tacos (corn tortilla), although their beans and rice are a little bland. Taco Loco in Soho is pretty good too, great margaritas.

If you'd like something a little more upscale, the Four Seasons has flown in two chefs from Mexico:

Viva Mexico! Four Seasons Hotel Hong Kong Welcomes Mexican Chef and Tequila Barista in June. | Hotel News | Four Seasons Hotel Hong Kong | Hotel Press Kits | Press Room | Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts

They'll only be here until June 10th, but I have no doubt this will be the best Mexican food you'll find locally until then!

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 04-06-2012 at 09:41 AM.
    huja likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MarriedtoLatina:
    Been to Mr. Taco Truck in Quarry Bay. Not conveniently located unfortunately.
    I haven't tried the Quarry Bay one, but the LKF location is the worst I've ever had. Caramba on Elgin gets my vote, they have a pretty good buffet lunch (HKD 98, all you can eat including a drink & dessert).

Taco Truck used to be good, but then they got lazy and now it's just like any of the other pseudo-mexican places. In a way I can see where they're coming from. Why put in all the effort to make it authentic if the locals can't tell the difference anyway?

Taco Chacha in Sai Ying Pun (2nd street, I believe). Decent hole in the wall Mexican place, tasty fish tacos.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunfire:
    Taco Truck used to be good, but then they got lazy and now it's just like any of the other pseudo-mexican places. In a way I can see where they're coming from. Why put in all the effort to make it authentic if the locals can't tell the difference anyway?
    When I first went there, they had a Mexican chef from LA in town and the food was great. It's not as good anymore, but still palatable and reasonable for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by kacoak:
    Taco Chacha in Sai Ying Pun (2nd street, I believe). Decent hole in the wall Mexican place, tasty fish tacos.
    Taco Chaca's not bad: I live pretty close by.

http://www.timeout.com.hk/restaurant...aco-chaca.html

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    When I first went there, they had a Mexican chef from LA in town and the food was great. It's not as good anymore, but still palatable and reasonable for what it is.
    Yeah, you could always tell when the mexican guy was doing the cooking, that's when it tasted like the real thing. I suppose part of the issue (particularly with the pastor) is how long it takes to marinate. Now all you get is flavorless, sinewy meat in a tortilla.
    jayinhongkong likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast