Like Tree12Likes

waiting times

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

waiting times

We tried to "branch out" today and try something new so went to maxims in tuen mun ... Or tried to ... Lots of people hanging around outside so I went to get a "waiting ticket" and asked how long it might be: the answer came back 1-2 HOURS! Needless to say we chucked the ticket and went off to the vietnamese place we know instead.

Question is - is this for real? Do people REALLY stand outside restaurants for 2 hours waiting for a seat????

I'm surprised a this too, but yes. Modern China in CWB is 2 hours or longer when there's a festival.

Not helpful if you're ravenous but you could go off and come back...?

If enough people chuck the ticket away, then you can get a seat in 30 minutes.

What usually happens is that one person from the party waits outside the restaurant with the ticket, while everyone else is shopping, still at home, or doing something else.

Crazy behaviour! Just seems like these folks have so self esteem that they'd waste so much of their own time waiting. Oh well. Guess this is mainly why I eat so little "local" food ... Its just too complicated!

dear giant likes this.

Or find somewhere less popular? we went to a local Chinese restaurant near us for dim sum this morning, no queue, absolutely delicious dim sum.

Trouble is I have no idea why sme restaurants are popular and others not!

Beyond me too! This place is no more expensive than other places which need to be booked weeks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Trouble is I have no idea why sme restaurants are popular and others not!
    Because some are better than others obviously.

Maxims as in the chain? And 1-2 hours wait? Serious?

Places are popular because someone said it is good. Doesn't mean it is though. At least that's my experience from Taiwan when locals chose a local place to go, often I found it mediocre.

Satay Sue and MovingIn07 like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast