Like Tree77Likes

Local restaurant charges higher prices to foreigners.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Local restaurant charges higher prices to foreigners.

Just tell your friends and family

http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/templa...rt_id=16006692

dear giant likes this.

a few (perhaps many) have been doing this for years and years. Why is this news?

dear giant likes this.

That, too, is wonderful. Enemies are true instigators of spiritual advancement, therefore, we must value them.

dear giant likes this.

As HowardCoombs said, why is this news? We're in Hong Kong.

If your obviously from overseas its likely your going to be charged a premium for pretty much everything from your local repair man or furniture removal guy right through to restaurants. I'm constantly left standing outside shops or just round the corner so the owner doesn't realize my other half is with me in order to avoid us getting charged more.

I was looking at an apartment and tried to negotiate with the owner. Instead of just declining she had the audacity to actually tell me that the agent had made a mistake with the price and had already given me the 'locals price'. She told me it was another HK$2k for foreigners!

I obviously didn't take the apartment, but I'm afraid there is no point moaning about it because it isn't going to change.

dear giant and Football16 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gmi:
    If your obviously from overseas its likely your going to be charged a premium for pretty much everything from your local repair man or furniture removal guy right through to restaurants. I'm constantly left standing outside shops or just round the corner so the owner doesn't realize my other half is with me in order to avoid us getting charged more.
    Yup. I also have to make myself scarce at times while my wife is negotiating prices for services or goods that don't have fixed, posted prices.

It's part of the other side of the "HK is great because I can walk around wearing 6 Rolexes, drunk, with no shoes on at 4AM and nobody is going to rob/sodomize/happyslap/whatever me!". The relatively lower incidence of physical violence means that people are likely to misbehave more brazenly/shamelessly because they don't anticipate facing any consequences.
    virago likes this.

On this blame the americans!

it may sound outrageous but the nunber of times i have heard, "americans good, can charge more and give big tips", even more so across the border where there is local price, foreigner price and american price.

dear giant and virago like this.

Is there an English version? When I clicked on the link, it was exclusively Chinese.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    On this blame the americans!

it may sound outrageous but the nunber of times i have heard, "americans good, can charge more and give big tips", even more so across the border where there is local price, foreigner price and american price.
    The root problem, though, is not the generosity or the greater affluence of Westerners/Americans. It's that the people you're hearing this from and the people whom gmi and I have to momentarily hide from while our spouses settle prices are operating on a values system that doesn't ring "This is unethical! How would I feel if someone gouged me!" alarm bells when they screw people over.

Political correctness and cultural relativism aside, that sucks.
    TheBrit and octarine like this.

Yeah foreigners have it always. Just goes with the territory when in a foreign country.

I had a guy come to our home and clean our cooktop hood for around 50 RMB. He then changed some seal as it was black with a new seal without telling us. Then turns around and tells us it's 240 RMB for the seal. I wasn't there in the room together and my wife told me this while he was still there. I know a thing or two about cooker hoods as I used to market them in Australia. I said to my wife that it's probably around 20 RMB at the most. My wife then checked quickly on the net and found that it was around 10 RMB.

The guy had the audacity to argue the point for 20 minutes. I nearly had to forcibly remove him. Wife ended out giving 10 RMB for this and he left. Some ar$ehole$ think we are stupid.

dear giant likes this.

The guy had the audacity to argue the point for 20 minutes. I nearly had to forcibly remove him. Wife ended out giving 10 RMB for this and he left. Some ar$ehole$ think we are stupid.

Good thing you ain't an American or he'd charge you 500 RMB.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast